CarolJ

Work Focussed Interview

Hi folks I just received a letter today telling me that I "have" to attend a Back to Work interview at my local Job centre. I phoned and queried whether or not I need to attend being i have two autisitic kids one of whom is low functioning.

I was told that anyone who receives a penny of income support irrespective of their circumstances has to attend or risk having benefits cut :(

Ironically I could walk into a job tomorrow but what do i do with the kids? I may just attend to see what suggestions this "Lone Parent Adviser" can suggest as regards childcare. LOL!

Has anyone else had this through?

Hi Carol,

Yes, it's being trialed in various areas. I had the same when I applied for carer's allowance even though I was working part time, but was below the income threshold. If it's difficult for you to attend their premises for the interview, they can, at their discretion, carry it out by telephone. They did this for me after they incorrectly sent me home after the first part of my interview, apparently I was supposed to see two different advisers. They wanted me to return, I refused and said I would make a formal complaint, they then agreed to a telephone interview, but said in future to ask for any interviews to take place by phone because of my lack of child care during the day and the care that my son needs. At the adviser's discretion this can be allowed.

Interestingly I was told that I couldn't receive income support as I was a carer, ie that was my role. The problem with only getting carers allowance though meant that I still had to pay for perscriptions, dental care, etc.

From what I have read of this subject on other posts, it is a lottery (like so much else when autism is involved!) on how understanding the person is that interviews you - but I would like to be proved wrong on that.

Zaman, what you were told is incorrect. You may not be eligible for income support because of other income coming into the house, but being a carer and receiving carer's allowance doesn't preclude you. Why don't you ask the CAB to check your benefits and see if you're getting everything you're entitled to?

Hi Carol,

I'm in the same boat as you although I only have the one child!

I panicked when I got my letter like that months ago, I went along but all was o.k. I explained my situation and she herself told me that I'd be worse off by getting a job and coming off Income Support and carers allowence!!!

I'm not afraid of work at all but my problem is with all parents of A.S kid's ...hard to fit work round the kid's who do not alway's cope well at school etc.

Don't worry about interview Carol, it's just a formality.

Take Care,

Best Wishes

Rach

Don't worry about interview Carol, it's just a formality.

Take Care,

Best Wishes

Rach

Rach i worked up until scottie was 4.5 full time/commuting into London every day :( - the childminder could no logner cope with him :( - talk about burn yourself out - its no better being stuck at home on benefits as my mind is turning to complete mush :( - In order for me to return to work my sons needs are so severe he would need a special needs minder and they dont come cheap, I did at one stage look at special needs minders by the nearest one was miles away and she could only take my son but not my daughter so it meant splitting my two up.

One option that was once suggested to me by my then social worker was to become a special needs childminder myself. Mind you the idea didnt appeal to me as i have enough to deal with with my own two LOL!

But its worth a thought for those who think they could manage an extra child :) as the financial rewards are very good.

I am going to go along for the hell of it and just enjoy winding someone up because there is no way on the face of this earth I am in a fit state to return to work at the moment and them coming up with a special needs minder on my doorstep who can take both kids lmaof!

I've had this interview as well, and it went very easy. I had to take my AS son with me as I had no-one to look after him, which sort of made them see the situation. I got some ###### advice on courses etc, and was then told I did not need to attend for another 3 years.

I have had a couple of these to. I have a feeling its also got something to do with age of youngest child. I explained the home situation, but still had to go back after a year for another review. The last one I had was a home visit, I really didn't want it at home, but managed to cancel 1 as I wasn't well, but they made the next 1 in about a week or so.They said if I refused a home visit they could cut my benefits. It actually wasn't that bad as it meant they could see me & knew I was awaiting a decision for DLA for myself,( I should of claimed a few years ago really, but just got more ill ) so not well enough to work. So the lady that came kept it brief.I think its mainly a formality, but they do have to keep a eye on everyone, they do seem to be pretty sympathetic.

I have had three such interviews (one over the phone) - in each case they were fine when I explained my situation (last time, when I said I had two children with AS, she said "well you won't be able to work then"!). They just said if I needed info, contact them.

Karen

It's mad, isn't it?

I was only able to return to work once my son went to a residential special school...ironically I went back to work in...a residential special school! Where I am paid far more to care for young people with special needs than I ever received in Carer's Allowance! :wacko:

I was 'lucky' in that we had scraped along on my husband's salary, DLA and my Carer's Allowance (mind you, hugely in debt as a result and with no chance of ever affording a mortgage :( ). But I do know from a friend in a similar situation that such interviews are just a formality.

Try not to worry about it, hun >:D<<'>

Bid

Edited by bid

I've not had one(letter) yet so maybe it's not coming to this area. I gave up work when Stephen was 4 and at the same time I'd just been given DLA award and applied for income support and carers allowance at the same time. I got 2 letters about interviews one as lone parent and another as carer and i phoned and I got these combined together. I remember the interviewer watching Stephen happily playing with the kids toys in the waiting area whilst we spoke and giving me the usual mmh he looks fine to me nonsense whilst also telling me about her son whose dyslexic and how he is doing so well now, when for once his timing was perfect as we looked back a minute later and he was pulling down his trousers and pants and was just about to weeee up the side of their job finder computer terminal lol it's really funny looking back though I had to move really quickly to avoid the nasty surprise - wow they even let me take him into the staff loos!

About 6mths later when he was 5 they sent a letter for interview about going back to work and I just phoned and explained that 6mths ago I'd given up a blinking brilliant job because of our circumstances and why on earth would I be looking for another 6mths later, they left it at that thankfully.

Zaman - if you have no other income coming into the house from yourself or partner you should be getting income support.

Who ever said you can't get income support because of carers allowance was completely out of order. There is a premium you get added onto income support if you recieve carers allowance which means under most circumstances even though they deduct the carers allowance from the income support you will always be left with at least a token amount of income support which then lets you get the presciptions etc and easier to access housing benefit etc too.

I used to assess IS and JSA claims though it's a few years back if anyone wants some rusty info feel free to PM me.

Lorraine

Edited by bramblebrae

I got a letter yesterday, my next 1 is on the 28th of this month. I had hoped the last home meeting had been inplace of this. it seems not :(

Should I ask them about Carers allowance, or is it built into IS when you have a child with special need. I know I do get a disabled premium added onto my total IS, is this the same thing?. I know I need to get off my bum & claim for DLA for D., he really does need the extra suppofrt. I do get DLA for my Eldest, hence already being classed as a carer. I also get DLA for myself due to being ill. Is there anything else I should be asking about?

If you meet the requirements you should ask for carer's allowance. It's a help and it doesn't affect your income support. If you are working part-time, it may be affected, also if you are receiving other benefits. It's worth asking. Good luck!

Who can get Carer's Allowance?

You can claim Carer?s Allowance if you are aged 16 or over and spend at least 35 hours a week caring for a person getting Attendance Allowance, or Disability Living Allowance (at the middle or highest rate for personal care), or Constant Attendance Allowance (at or above the normal maximum rate with an Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit, or basic (full day) rate with a War Disablement Pension).

Who cannot get Carer's Allowance?

You can?t claim Carer?s Allowance if you are in full-time education with 21 hours or more a week of supervised study or earn more than �84 a week after certain deductions have been made (such as Income Tax

Carers allowance does effect Income Support. The amount awarded for Carers Allowance awarded is deducted from Income Support but a premium is added so you still get part of what is awarded. I believe the premium added is about �26.85 at the moment. So basically if a person was awarded Carers Allowance who is on Income support they would be �26.85 better off a week. Would need to check the current rates as I don't have them to hand at the moment.