Sign in to follow this  
Stephanie

If I'm not happy with his helper ...

OK my son is 5 and in a lovely school. He has a statement of 10 hours a week ... broken down into 2 hours every afternoon.

The "helper" they have decided for him is one of the DINNER LADIES!!! They thought it would be a good idea for her because she could watch over him at lunchtime (good idea) and then she would do 2 hours of one to one with him in the afternoon.

I have given her books on ASD's etc and have spoken with her about him, and she will write things in his home/school book like "he talked nonsense today" and I write "yes, well he would .... he's autistic" type thing.

I did mention the fact that I wasn't happy with him just having a dinner lady but the school did the old shrug of the shoulders (it was decided before they told me), and said they couldn't afford anyone else blah blah.

I mean, this lady is ok, a bit of a wet lettuce but ok and she is taking an interest in ASD's by reading the books and learning about it. My son can take her or leave her, he knows that she is his helper.

Am I just being a bit snobby expecting him to have someone to help him who is used to working with SEN kids? Is it normal for schools to promote dinner ladies in this capacity. She is not the most social or outgoing character herself so I wonder if she will be able to promote this to my son.

I just want the best for him, but I don't feel he is getting the best ...?

Steph

It doesn't matter who is employed to support your son, if you're not happy with her you're not happy! One of my friends started off as a dinner lady 9 years ago; she was also doing an OU degree and is now a teacher. She went from dinner lady, TA to teacher in 7 years.

It's early days, but if you're not happy with the quality of support your son is receiving then you have every right to raise this issue. If your son has a statement for 10 hours a week then funding should not be an issue. It seems the schools use the 'funding' card to make us parents feel unreasonable and shut us up!

Flora

We had the need for any LSA to be trained in dealing with children Autistic Spectrum, or that they should receive training written into his statement. We had to phrase it that way because Autism-aware LSAs looking for jobs are like hens teeth - they just don't exist. Your school will have faced the same issue.

One non-controversial suggestion you could make to the school is that they invite the LEA's Autism Outreach team to come and spend some time with the LSA and your son, to advise here on how best to support him.

Simon

I think it very much depends on the person as to how good they are at their job. Having worked in school it is not unusual for some schools to employ dinner ladies, parent helpers etc. Do they have a recruitment policy which explains how they will advertise vacancies ? I think you are quite within your rights to enquire why they think a particular person is suitable to work with your child ; what previous experience has she got & more importantly what training & support is she going to receive in the future.

I have worked as a LSA / TA & we all have to start somewhere but I think it can undermine the role of TA's & LSA's when schools seemingly pluck the nearest most convenient person available regardless of their experience or knowledge.It perhaps speaks more of the schools attitude to the role & value of LSA's & may be their knowledge & understanding ( or lack of it ) of autism.

My daughter is dyslexic & has visual processing probs. two years ago her lSA's were specifcally trained VI LSA's . Last year the school changed how the LSA's worked & it was whoever was free at the time. My daughter's LSA went to work with a child on the autistic spectrum & with no experience felt very out of her depth & eventually left the school. Meanwhile my daughter found herself constantly having to explain to LSA's what they were meant to do. It was a very chaotic & disruptive year & to me highlighted the need for specifically trained lSA's. My daughter is now starting GCSE'S & one of her lSA's is a delightful lady but has no computer skills & my daughter is undertaking IT ! She finds it very frustrating that her lSA cannot support her .Sadly I think the education system so often fails our special needs children.

Hi I know that this does happen.I was a lunch time supervisor[posh new name]in a nursery before I gave up work.I am unusual in that I was overqualified for that job-was a community nurse pre kids.I was asked if I Would work as a TA for a child that needed 1:1 [EBD] .I was given little support or training and after about 6 weeks I decided I did not need the stress and returned to my original job.At the time my son had not been identified as having difficulties-so I didn't know all the things I do now.

Does the statement give any detail re qualifications the TA needs ?The amount of experience and training needed will vary depending on what is agreed.One of the things the school could try is to employ a TA with less experience so they are cheaper and can provide more hours for the money.However if you are not happy it is worth going to the SENCO and explaining your concerns.I think the fact that a TA felt it appropriate to write that a child''talked nonsense today'' would concern me.That sort of comment is more to do with an unhelpful attitude than training -it is inappropriate and unhelpful.

One of the things included in Ben's statement was the requirement for all staff to have at least baic ASD training so you could ask for that.

Others here may strongly disagree with me but I do not think finding an appropriate preson is always about training and experience-I have been able to learn a vast amount in a short space of time given the motivation.If you find a suitable person who is keen to learn they could make a very good TA.

One word in support of Lunch time supervisors :D:D It is actually a difficult job for the salary.In my previous job both of us were experienced mums- the other lady also worked as a TA elsewhere.I was very comitted to my work and knew all of the children very well.In my time in work I flagged up children who were unsettled and some with possible SEN.I was payed �10 for an hour and a half in the middle of the day.I would have earned more doing one evening a week stacking supermarket shelves.

I would add that one of the main difficulties we have had with Ben is sorting out issues at lunch time because lunch time supervisors are expected to do an awful lot for very little money with little training.

I also did TA basic training-most of the people on the course were mums wanting to work in schools-many because their own children had difficulties or they had found school an unhappy experience and wanted to improve things for others.I am sure many will have made excellent TAs.So I emphasise I think motivation and willingness to learn are what is important.Karen

Hi,

I know it sounds odd at first, but it really depends on the person. My son is getting support from the school technician! I am very pleased with the support he's giving my son because he's a good listener, patient and kind. He also has lots of experience with children and he really seems to understand more about autism than most of my son's teachers. I have to say though that he gives my son, who has not been statemented (yet) only social support during lunch time.

Curra

Hi Stephanie,

Speaking as mother of A/S son 17yrs and LSA to two ASD girls yr8 I see both sides of the coin as it were. I have been employed as LSA because my son has A/S and I already worked at the school in a supervisory role. Recognisable qualifications in SEN are not available unless you are a qualified teacher. All thats available are one and two day courses that are so basic.On one such course I was told "that I knew more about the subject than they did".The LEA were supposed to be making training available for LSA's. THIS HAS NOT HAPPENED. After much searching I have found a two year online university course to which I am waiting to see if I have been accepted. I will have to complete the course in my own time, evenings,weekends, as the school cannot spare me any time off as there is no one in the school of 85+ staff with any knowledge of ASD's. UNBELIEVABLE!!!! I also have to fund the course myself. The first year university certificate in ASD is �1000. I don't as yet know the cost of the second year other than more than �1000. This is why there are so few LSA's with proper training and qualifications in ASD's.

Incidently I probably shouldn't spill the beans but this is my parents head speaking.

The parents of the two girls I support have had to agree that If I am off work ill or on a course their children will not be allowed to take part in any practical lessons until I return. :o:o:o

Julieann.

DS's LSA last term was a parent of a child at the school who had no experience of ASD but who was absolutely fantastic with him. Was so sorry that she was only temporary though his permanent LSA who is very experienced seems great. I don't think it really matters who they are as such or what their background is but rather what sort of person they are, whether they are keen to learn and adapt and whether your son can form a good relationship with them. Autism Outreach here provide training for all LSAs who support autistic children so it may well be worth enquiring if there is any similar provision in your LEA as I think such training will prove important if she remains a permanent fixture

Lx