BusyLizzie100

Who should read the Statement?

DS1 is nearly 12 and in his first year at mainstream secondary (Y7) and finally has a Statement.

How reasonable is it to expect that all his teachers read the Statement?

He is obviously in the situation now where he has different teachers for all subjects. He does not have 1:1, although a Classroom Assistant acts as his 'keyworker', the idea being that she offers discrete help with, for example, social skills or organisation in the classroom (but not every class and to be honest I'm not sure this is working).

I am getting on well with the SENCO, but things crop up every week that necessitate an email to her and, if you like, nudging for things to happen. In a nutshell DS1 is academically very able but has huge issues with anxiety, emotional management and social skills; his difficulties can be very subtle but significant. They are now very well described in his Statement (Thanks to my Parental Working Document and appeal to SEND!).

The SENCO has explained that her policy is to summarise the Statement into an A4 sheet to make it easy for the teachers to read and digest and to get the main points across. I'm not sure I'm happy with this, particularly because my son's issues can be so subtle and he masks everything - eg he feels he cannot use his 'time out' pass when he gets really anxious as he thinks he will be told off - plus he hasn't even been introduced to the person to whom he is allowed to go for time out... he won't mention any of his concerns to any teacher because he 'doesn't trust them' but is building up a whole bank of anxieties.

Surely the Statement should be read by everyone that teaches him, in its entirety, or else how will they know what his needs are? Isn't that what a Statement's about? Or am I being hopelessly optimistic?

It's a big mainstream secondary school (1,200 pupils) and it has experience of ASDs, but probably only in two of the six forms in each year; there is another lad in his class with autism who has a 1:1 for several hours a week.

Any advice appreciated!! :notworthy:

Lizzie >:D<<'>

I am not sure who exactly should have read it.

My son is in primary, which is much different. The SENCO, class teacher and his dedicated TA have all read it. Other people within the school such as mid-day supervisors are aware of sections relevent to them.

What should be happening is that the advice in section 3 of the statement should be being fulfilled in the classroom, or during unstructured free time etc. And it should be very specific so that everyone knows what they should be doing.

And section 3 is simply stating how school will meet the needs identified in section 2.

Is the statement as specific as that? You should be able to tell if the school is fulfilling their responsibilities under the statement by asking them if they are doing x, y and z as specified in the Statement.

If it says he should have a dedicated or nominated TA then that is what he should have. If they are to be in the classroom during each lesson, then that is where they should be. If they are to go over the lesson before or afterwards to ensure understanding or clarify homework etc then that is what they should do.

If your son has difficulty asking for help, or accessing strategies then it should say that he has to be taught these things explicitly ie. role play with the people he will be in contact with so that he knows exactly what he should do and who he should go to and what he should say when the situation arises. Otherwise he won't use those strategies and they will think he isn't using them because he doesn't need them, rather than he isn't using them because no-one has shown him how to access them. There is a BIG difference. And it maybe that once he is shown exactly what to do, that he quickly learns that and can move onto a more independent stage. But the basics have to be taught first.

His level of anxiety is a good indication of how secure he feels within that environment. Sometimes they may need to put in more support at the beginning for it to be gradually reduced. But 'function' levels can fluctuate day to day and staff need to be aware that just because they cope with a certain level of support one day does not mean that tomorow everything will be okay. There are many factors that influence their coping levels. If your son is not taking up the 'help' that is identified in the Statement that you need to discuss with the SENCO why this is happening. It isn't because he is no longer on the spectrum, it is because, for some reason, he cannot access that help. It is almost like a blind person being told that all the equipment and help is available to them, but no-one mentions where it is or how to go about getting it and then they wonder why the blind person is not 'performing' well. And in many situations our children are literally language and socially blind. It isn't obvious to them and assumptions cannot be made.

And you do need to go over the Statement with the SENCO for them to explain to you exactly how they are fulfilling each need in it.

Have think about it and write down all your concerns and itemise all the needs in the Statement that you feel are not being met and why. You can talk with the NAS about your concerns to get their ideas. They do have an Educational Helpline as well that you can leave your details on and they call you back.

It is a pain to have to do this. But you do need to go through it with the SENCO so that they are clear that you know that they are legally required to fulfill it.

There are several issues here - a summary is fine IF the summary is accurate and IF the teachers actually read it and implement it.

Why not ask for a copy of the summary that is given to the teachers, and then you will be able to judge how good it is? If it is OK, then you need to find out why the teachers are not following it.

I wrote a A4 sheet about R, when he started secondary (but he didn't have a statement) for each teacher, customised for each subject, and that did seem to work. His IEP did have a brief summary of his needs, but I don't think that had the same impact. It also surprised me that communication is so poor. The year 8 english teacher did not know that R missed most of the year 7 lessons.

The time out stuff needs to be resolved, so both he and the teachers are clear how it works. I made a time-out card that had instructions for the teacher on the reverse.

Hi.I have Ben who has AS and is very able in some areas.He has just started at secondary school.

I don't think that av16 will mind me flagging up the similar thread running today. :)

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.ph...c=22690&hl=

She also has a son at a mainstream secondary school.

I don't think that reading the Statement would make any difference to what staff do in practice if they do not understand the issues or are not willing to put the information into practice.

In Ben's case the SENCO has worked hard to educate staff.She has produced a summary of Ben's needs which has been passed to all staff in contact with Ben.She has spent considerable time with one member of staff providing extra support.None of this has prevented difficulties which could easily have lead to Ben refusing to attend school and being extremely stressed.....all due to one member of staff. :wallbash:

None of the issues we have could be resolved by having a TA present all of the time or by insisting that specific things are done.They come down to attitudes which cannot be changed by insisting that people do things.

Ben was actually managing without all of the support documented in the Statement and doing very well because most staff were supportive.However it only required one member of staff who appears to have major difficulties with whole class issues to upsett nearly a years work. :tearful::tearful::tearful:

Sorry I am not really offering much in the way of helpful advice.At least you will know you are not alone in your frustration. >:D<<'>

Edited to add.I am known for having very high expectations of myself and everyone else so probably am not in a position to say whether you are being hopelessly optimistic.

However I don't think it is too much to expect that my child not be verbally abused in relation to his disability in class to the extent that he resports to repetative behaviours which the teacher ignores. :angry::angry::angry:

Edited by Karen A

Not much help, but unfortunately true..........I have worked as an ISA with several children in mainstream schools and I have only seen their statements when I have made a point of asking !!

I had been an ISA for about 3 years before I started on the process of getting a statement for our son. Only then did I realise what it was all about and how important it is for ALL concerned to have access to the information.

Hi.One thing that might be worth bearing in mind that I did not say before.

Some schools may feel that the Statement is confidential and so should not just be passed round the whole staff without careful condsideration.

There were certainly things documented in Ben's Statement that I would not have wanted to be discussed with the whole school staff.

I am sure that one policy that I read said that Statements should be kept in a secure place with access limited.

I have had an interesting situation this week which demonstrates this issue.

A TA who was very well intentioned spent time in class explaining Ben's IEP to him.The contents of the IEP were observed over her shoulder by a pupil who then taunted Ben later in the day when he became frustrated saying ''I thought you were not supposed to be getting angry''.

Hi, I'm fine with Karen A mentioning me ! :) I have to say I agree with her, both from my experience as a parent, teacher and senco. If the information is summarised and the staff are keen to do their job properly, things should go okish - if there are problems they may have an idea why, if not they will try to find out more. Unfortunately there are always people who think they know better and think that their methods will 'cure' them or that by disciplining them eventually they will learnto 'toe the line'. :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: As we know to our costs depending on the child they may become more passive and then erupt at home or they will erupt at school.

I spent so long last year (DS was in yr 7) going in and being told about bad behaviour - practically every single one of which I could understand why DS had acted as he did. Many things were due to his desperate desire to fit in or his failure to understand what was going on. He was also singled out by an older child and when he finally retaliated was caught- because he had not complained he was seen as the guilty one. What I'm trying to say is that many teachers seem to need everything laid out in a sort of step by step guide. If the child's behaviour doesn't fit in with it then they're being naughty - few seem to want to find out more.

If you have the time and inclination you could suggest the teachers talk to you when they have any queries and have a regualr meeting with the senco- this may help things for your child. Eventually the message will get through - hopefully. (Then of course he'll go into yr 8 and it will start again :unsure:

Good luck

AV

wow, thanks everyone for some really useful advice. And for the link to the other post, which I read with interest.

At the moment I would say that DS1 is not behaving badly at all - in fact he's so desperate to fit in and NOT get told off that this is what's getting in the way!

what happens to him - and I know because this is what happened in primary before we got the statement - is he hides everything away and becomes extremely anxious to the point that he cannot cope with anything. He was put on anti-depressants 18 months ago.

I knew Secondary would be a big leap for him but have worked really hard to get as much in place as possible to make it work - I'm just worried that unless others (ie school and teachers) work hard at it too, he will get to school refusal or even breakdown (he came very close last time on both counts).

but thanks for the good advice; we have half term now but afterwards I think I may need to be a little proactive and get some communicating going on - can't believe that no one writes in his Link Book other than to (occasionally) mention homework instructions.

Lizzie :notworthy:>:D<<'>

Hi Lizzie,

I came across this bit in the COP which is very interesting. See especially 8:112: It is important that teachers working closely with the child should have full knowledge of the child's statement..

Keeping, disclosure and transfer of statements

8:111 A statement must not be disclosed without the consent of the child’s parents or, where

the child is over eighteen, except for statutory purposes or in the interests of the child.

Statutory purposes include disclosure to the SEN Tribunal when parents appeal, and to

the Secretary of State if parents make a complaint to him under the 1996 Act; disclosure

on the order of any court or for the purpose of any criminal proceedings; disclosure for

the purposes of investigations of maladministration under the Local Government Act

1974; disclosure to enable any authority to perform duties resulting from the Disabled

Persons (Services, Consultation and Representation) Act 1986, or from the Children Act

1989 relating to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children; and disclosure to

OFSTED inspection teams as part of their inspections of schools and LEAs.

8:112 The interests of the child include the provision of information to the child’s school and

teachers. It is important that teachers working closely with the child should have full

knowledge of the child’s statement, as should Connexions Personal Advisers (PAs). LEAs

may also give access to the statement to persons engaged in research on special

educational needs on the condition that the researchers do not publish anything derived

from, or contained in, the statement which would identify the child or parents concerned.

School governing bodies should have access to a child’s statement commensurate with

their duties towards pupils with special educational needs and should always bear in mind

the need to maintain confidentiality about the child in question. Disclosure in the interests

of the child also includes disclosure to any agencies other than the LEA who may be

referred to in the statement as making educational or non-educational provision.

Thanks Kathryn, that's a useful bit of info.

I think I'm going to have to be a bit pushy about this, which is not something I relish. The Senco has already told me that the teachers don't read all the Statement - how depressing is that? :crying:

I'm gathering myself to ask for a meeting - not a 'chat', a proper meeting! - as the list of issues has grown quite steadily.

The depressing thing is that I've worked so hard to get him a Statement, gone to appeal to get it right, and then at grassroots level where it all counts, ie in practice, it just doesn't seem to work. Basically there just isn't adequate expertise or understanding of Asperger at mainstream schools around here... :wallbash:

Grrr! :angry:

OK, getting off my soap box now... :devil:

Lizzie x

Thanks Kathryn, that's a useful bit of info.

I think I'm going to have to be a bit pushy about this, which is not something I relish. The Senco has already told me that the teachers don't read all the Statement - how depressing is that? :crying:

I'm gathering myself to ask for a meeting - not a 'chat', a proper meeting! - as the list of issues has grown quite steadily.

The depressing thing is that I've worked so hard to get him a Statement, gone to appeal to get it right, and then at grassroots level where it all counts, ie in practice, it just doesn't seem to work. Basically there just isn't adequate expertise or understanding of Asperger at mainstream schools around here... :wallbash:

Grrr! :angry:

OK, getting off my soap box now... :devil:

Lizzie x

>:D<<'> Is there room for a large one up there on that soap box .... :P perhaps you might feel less lonely.

Ben did not manage to get through one day back after half-term without issues with the teacher mentioned in my earlier post.

Ben attempted to explain that he has AS and dyspraxia and got into trouble for showing off. :wacko:

>:D<<'> Is there room for a large one up there on that soap box .... :P perhaps you might feel less lonely.

Ben did not manage to get through one day back after half-term without issues with the teacher mentioned in my earlier post.

Ben attempted to explain that he has AS and dyspraxia and got into trouble for showing off. :wacko:

That's awful!! Our children just can't win, can they.

DS1 wants me to go in and talk to each of his teachers about the things worrying him, because he's too scared to. I've told him I've written in the link book, and he has to give them the link book at the start of each lesson, but he won't and feels that he can't. And in any case, I have no confidence that the link book is being read cos it's certainly not being written in. He has a keyworker with whom he is supposed to meet at registration twice a day but it isn't happening; I think she is just the wrong person.

He feels totally unempowered; sounds like your son feels more able to express himself but gets bashed down for doing it! I think that's appalling.

Lots of >:D<<'> >:D< >:D<<'> >:D< to you and Ben.

Lizzie x

PS can we have a soapbox thingy in the style of :offtopic: !!!

As you say it is an on-going pain to have to regularly check that Statements are being fulfilled. I'm in the process of that now as well - MEP meeting coming up.

Back, when we first got the diagnosis I thought 'that was it', but it soon became apparent that something called a 'Statement' was needed, and then 'going to tribunal' was needed. I wish I could bill the LEA for my time spent on this subject over the years.

As you say it is an on-going pain to have to regularly check that Statements are being fulfilled. I'm in the process of that now as well - MEP meeting coming up.

Back, when we first got the diagnosis I thought 'that was it', but it soon became apparent that something called a 'Statement' was needed, and then 'going to tribunal' was needed. I wish I could bill the LEA for my time spent on this subject over the years.

I have to say that although it may come as a shock my LEA are actually very good.The difficulties in previous years have been at the level of HT.

Since Ben went to secondary the issue is with one teacher.The SENCO and other staff are actually doing such a good job that Ben is doing better than we could ever have hoped.

With the teacher that Ben is having diffficulties with I do not think the issue is really one that could be addressed by challenging whether the Statement was being fulfilled.

The issue is really a whole class issue.The teacher cannot manage the class at a basic level as far as I can gather.Pencils and paper are being thrown around and pupils shout abuse at each other.

Ben is a firm believer in rules being adhered to and expects that discipline will be maintained.He is upsett when people throw things at him and complains to the teacher.Ben is then called names which are abusive and could not be posted here beause they are abusive towards an individual with a disability because he complained.The teacher does not deal with the abuse but instead complains that Ben is the problem.

Unfortunately such behaviour comes down to attitudes and it is very difficult to enforce attitudes via challenging the Statement.

Furthermore Ben feels that having a TA in class in this situation will just emphasise that he is different which will make matters worse.

I doubt whether a TA would be able to have much of an impact anyway.

So far we have now involved the Form Tutor,Year Head,Deputy Head and SENCO.Even after considerable support the teacher appears either unwilling or unable to change the way he copes with the class.In case anyone is wondering this is also the top ability maths set so it is not a matter of the teacher having lots of pupils who need intensive support. :rolleyes:

Ben has ended up using the year heads office to work today in maths and was pretty happy there by all accounts.I think he just wants to be able to work without having verbal abuse,paper and pencils sent his way.I do not think that should require a Statement. :angry::angry::angry:

Sorry just needed to let off steam.We have worked extremely hard to get Ben to secondary and he is doing better than we could ever have hoped.It was most frustrating when he was reluctant to go to school this morning because of one teacher.

I know this is going slightly off topic - so apologies for that.

But in my son's Statement the Ed Psych has itemised specific software that should be used to further my sons reading, numeracy and writing skills. Because that software is mentioned in the Statement, do the school have to provide it?

Sorry just needed to let off steam.We have worked extremely hard to get Ben to secondary and he is doing better than we could ever have hoped.It was most frustrating when he was reluctant to go to school this morning because of one teacher.

I know just what you mean! Although I have a feeling that for my son there are a number of teachers that he has difficulty with. So far as I know there's not a problem with behaviour, it's because he doesn't 'get' the teachers or the unwritten rules and because things change from class to class, eg in some classes it's OK to have muted conversation during work but in others it's not - he was really confused about being told there was to be absolutely no talk in an art class, but he had to share equipment with his neighbour; he didn't know how he could do it without saying 'can I have that now please'.

And on top of it all, I had a phone call from school at the end of the day today to say can I pick him up because he's been sick and can't come home on the bus. (Had to send hubby out because I'm at work). I spoke to him on his way home and he said he didn't see his bus arrive at the normal time - he can usually see them all parking from the class window - and got so anxious that he was sick. Then he was sick again in matron's office and matron has told him to stay at home tomorrow - thing is it was caused by anxiety not a tummy bug.

Hey ho.

Lizzie :(

But in my son's Statement the Ed Psych has itemised specific software that should be used to further my sons reading, numeracy and writing skills. Because that software is mentioned in the Statement, do the school have to provide it?

It might depend on the wording - does it say school WILL use the software or SHOULD use it? If it says will, then I would say yes, definitely. If it says something less precise, it could be open to interpretation.

Lizzie x

Hi.It may depend on exactly what the wording in the Statement says.

If the Statement says that a specific programme should be used then I would think school should be using it.

If school do not have the software then they would need to obtain it in order to use it.The LEA may be able to loan the software or to purchase it.I would think though the theory is exactly the same whether the issue is staffing or equipment if the Statement says something should be provided then it should be provided who funds it is for the LEA and school to debate.

We had a similar discusion about a laptop for Ben.The EP at primary school was very helpful at his AR in year 6.Ben previously used an ALPHASMART in primary school.He cannot write anywhere near quickly enough to be able to complete work within his ability.So the EP said that he would need a PC at secondary school because it would serve Ben much better than an ALPHASMART.She explained almost word for word what I should request be included in the amended statement for secondary school.

When we spoke to the secondary school SENCO about transition she was surprised about the PC as they had not come across the situation before.She imediately said that the school did not have PCs.I replied that it was detailed in the Statement and so someone would have to fund it either the school or the LEA. :D

Do you know whether it is just the software that is the issue for example is anyone trained to use it ?

Edited by Karen A

Sorry to hear about what happened at the end of the day, Lizzie. Obviously something else to add to your list of things to talk about with the school! How frustrating that they can't see that anxiety is the cause of the sickness. When they do realise that, it shouldn't be beyond the staff to help him learn strategies to cope if a similar situation happens again.

K x

Regarding vomitting, my son also does that.

Every time he was sick in school they sent him home for 48 hours, that was school policy.

So I went to the GP and was referred to the consultant paediatrician, who agreed with me that there was nothing medically wrong, and she wrote to the school saying that he should not be sent home, and that they should consider that anxiety and stress were the most likely causes. So I have told the SENCO that if he is sick that they can use his PE kit to change him into. Since then, surprisingly, we have had no vomitting. It maybe that once it was down to them to deal with it that they addressed this issue. The OT is currently working on relaxation in school.

There is also something called cyclical vomitting syndrome. Sometimes my son is sick just the once. Sometimes it goes on for hours and is very distressing for him. But he isn't ill.

Regarding specific ICT software mentioned in the Statement. I spoke with his SALT yesterday, who mentioned one of the software programmes would be of use to him. So I have sent an email to the SENCO, with a copy of the page that itemises the ICT software and asked her to let me know which of these they are currently using. I do find the 'interpretation' of the Statement quite difficult sometimes because school say they are doing it, but I often don't have any evidence of proof of that, and sometimes I disagree and think they are not doing what they should be doing. So i'll see what her response is.

The Statement does say that resources such as X, Y and Z should be used. That a structured writing programme such as X will be used. So I believe I am right to ask the SENCO to list exactly what resources they are using.

I do like the school he is currently at, and his teacher has said to me that she is concerned that my son is not taken out of class too often to fulfill parts of his Statement because she feels he is learning in the class environment and that it is of benefit to him and that he can do it. So I am kind of pulled in two directions, and I do value this teachers opinion.