Sign in to follow this  
pingu

Bird rescue

Hi Folks.

Tonight a little poorly bird hopped into our house, and promptly took up residence near the motor at the back of the fridge freezer. We managed to coax it out and catch it in a box. But when we took it back outside there was a cat licking its lips at the prospect of some free grub and we just couldnt do it !!.

Anyway to cut a long story short, the bird cant fly, it seems to be having problems with its wing and looks disorentaited so we have put it in a cage with some shreaded newspaper, bread and water and popped it into the "qiuet room" (its only quiet coz no one can get in there as its so full of junk)

we had a sick bird once before (it flew into the window) on that occasion it died.... i really want to get this creature back to the land of the wild, so if any one has any experience with wildlife... what do we do???

Ive tried to handle it as little as possible (caught it in a towel) and its sleeping in the nest we made, but what can i do to help it??

Any advice greatfully recieved..

shaz

:crying: Ermm it doesnt matter .. he died :crying: I think ill tell the kids that he flew away during the night. Oh well we tried :(

(im a sentimental old fool) :tearful:

Sorry the bird died. :( I don't know what you could have done anyway, apart from contact the RSPB, but if it couldn't fly there probably wouldn't have been much hope for it.

K x

Oh dear :(

We went through a similar thing with mice - my cat would bring them in to play with and then lose them. Hubby and I would catch the poor thing and put it in a small pet carrier (especially bought as it happened so often) some mornings you came down to a lively one and others you came down to very unlively one :(

KW

I'm sorry the bird died.

Sadly, that often happens. They don't cope at all well with stress.

It sounds like you did all the right things though.

If it was a wing problem then it wouldn't have lasted long out in the big wide world anyway

The only thing to be wary of with wild birds is that they can often carry mites, diseases (even bird flu if you believe the meda) and sometimes even fleas so keeping them in the house might not be the best thing to do if you're dirt-phobic like me :D