Sign in to follow this  
smallworld

Ros Blackburn

Went to listen to this lady talk yesterday, she was great, very inspiring.

She has very strong views on how we should be bringing up our asd kids, but for the main I agree with her.

Had a few LEA officers sat in front of me, thought I saw a few jaws drop at some points :lol: perhaps at her sheer directness, no woolly LEA speak there :thumbs:

If you get chance, go to one of her talks, this one was organised by a local early years asd support group, and was only �5 for parents ( lots of proffs in audience too )

wac

I've heard Ros speak before and i thought she was inspiring too.

She has been spoken about before on this forum and I know that people have different opinions about her, but for me I found her speech a very positive one. I would definitely go to see her again and this time I'd take family members too.

I watched Sigourney Weaver talking about Snow Cake movie and she mentioned that she got a lot of her material/resources from Ros which has made me want to see the film more, when and where I find out its released.

Tilly

Went to listen to this lady talk yesterday, she was great, very inspiring.

She has very strong views on how we should be bringing up our asd kids, but for the main I agree with her.

Had a few LEA officers sat in front of me, thought I saw a few jaws drop at some points :lol: perhaps at her sheer directness, no woolly LEA speak there :thumbs:

If you get chance, go to one of her talks, this one was organised by a local early years asd support group, and was only �5 for parents ( lots of proffs in audience too )

wac

I second that - did you go am or pm? Don't tell me we were there at the same time and didn't know!!! :o

my big sis and I were there pm, typical !! ( I did look out for you !)

sis was there for work (she says) and spent the refreshments bit beforehand chatting with lots of bods, and introducing me :wacko including GL who was part of the team who dx our youngest, we had a chat about the dire provision for asd, and she was right when she told me I would find Ros fascinating :thumbs:

You've only met one of my sisters, the social skills of both my sisters make me feel like an alien, whereas I'm usually just the 'black sheep' in the nicest possible way of course :lol:

Nothing against Ros Blackburn, I just disagree with 60%-ish of what she says. She sort of reminds me of Temple Grandin when she used to say 'Autistic think a lot like animals' but hadn't at that time asked another Autistic if they think like animals. It means that Ros can sometimes say 'Autistics are like this' but it's only a 'sort of' kind of fact from one person's point of view.

Can't remember her contact details, but Ros can be booked for talks by any organisation, eg parent support groups. She lives down south, so I don't know how far afield she's prepared to go or how much that adds to the costs.

I've seen her three times now and I never tire of hearing her point of view.

Wendy Lawson is also a fascinating woman, if you get a chance to hear her talk.

There is a Ros Blackburn talk in High Wycombe next week ( 3rd Oct ) If anyone is interested in obtaining tickets I can forward you the relevant booking / contact details.

Great name btw ( I have been called this on occasion, just waiting now for 'old trout' :lol: )

I have contact details for Ros if anyone wants to organise a talk for their group etc., if you're a voluntary set-up there may be some funding in your area to put this on.

wac