Brook

Virtual school 'beat's real thing'

:D:D At this momment-having visited several secondary schools,having not visited others that are too dreadful to consider,having found out that private school is financially not an option,having several supplementary forms to complete,having main form to complete in the knowledge that it really all comes down to how near the schools you live............ :blink::blink::blink:

Looks good to me. :D:D Karen

I think that it is something that they really should think about as an option for our children. I think that there is something like this in the Wakefield area or at least that is what I have heard. Surely it's better for our children to have an education that is as stress free as possible and I think that this could work for many.

The only downside would be they would have to access this from home - but as a home edder that would certainly not bother me :D

Oracle

A has been registered at a virtual school since April of this year, our LEA foots the bill and it's written into Part 4 of A's statement together with support from the mainstream school that he remains registered with and some 1 to 1 tuition in the home. Whilst it's millions of times better than being in a large mainstream comprehensive, it's still far from ideal. Due to A's sensory problems and particularly his hyperacausis he can't access the online lessons.

Although the students do use text talk to communicate in class, there are occasions when microphones are used and interactive white boards with student participation are used frequently. The teacher delivers the lessons via microphone and white boards but also communicates privately or openly via text. A actually finds some of the text talk irritating, and it creates the same behaviour and discipline problems as in a mainstream school. He also finds that the set up tries to imitate a school classroom too closely and he finds that very off putting. However, he has developed a good relationship with the tutors and they have virtually created a separate set up for him, they email him power point presentations and keep in contact via email, which for him works much better. In general, the standard of teaching and feedback is variable, the Science tuition is excellent and has enabled him to work to a very high standard and the teachers are more than willing to answer the questions he posed.

The virtual school that A is registered with does not require the pupils to log on for 5 hours per day. Each pupil is registered for a range of subjects, it might be only one, it may be more. Live lessons are scheduled for those subjects and the pupils are expected to attend. Each lesson is 45 minutes long. However, if for any reason they don't, the lessons are recorded and can be downloaded and viewed off line at any time and even used for revision. Based on these lessons, there are follow up assignments to complete by set deadlines which are submitted and returned electronically via the virtual school website.

The actual virtual school tries to foster a social relationship between those pupils who are registered, there is a common room, and the opportunity to chat and intereact before and after lessons. A is definitely not interested in this side of things, but it does give other pupils, such as those with ME the opportunity to talk to people of a similar age or those with similar interests.

Based on this understanding, our LEA have now registered him with a distance learning company as well, which delivers the curriculum via correspondence material and individual tutor support, but which is specifically aimed at 13-18 year olds who are home educated. He's still registered with the virtual school and continues to access his Science in this manner, and a limited amount of English and Mathematics.

Edited by Tez

I think it could be a good idea if it were truly flexible. I'm not at all keen on the idea of 5 hours a day at a computer.

How do they get around the lack of practical equipment for Science experiments etc?

It would have to be flexible and nothing like school otherwise I can't see it working as an option for children with ASD. Once they have left the system anything which reminds them of school is a no no :(

Oracle

It would have to be flexible and nothing like school otherwise I can't see it working as an option for children with ASD. Once they have left the system anything which reminds them of school is a no no.

This is why I think internet correspondence courses and home education networks work much better for kids with AS than internet schools with scheduled lessons. They are probably cheaper as well.