Sign in to follow this  
desperate

duke of edingburgh award

Hi there you may remember that my son Neil lost his place at a residential special school last January, because the school felt that they could not alter people's perceptions of him, or alter his reactions to them.

Anyway whilst he was at school he managed to gain the duke of edingburgh bronze award. This was sadly his only ever achievement in a very turbulent school career. He was congratulated on the manner in which he had tackled all the tasks and on the great effort he had put in to pass the course.

Unfortunately he was "excluded" from school before he was presented with his certificate and medal.

Since last January I have e mailed the school, monthly to ask them when he would be receiving them, all with no response. Last month I decided to contact the head office of the D.O.E to ask them to intervene. They did this and I received an e mail saying that the school were very behind in their paperwork, although all the other students had had their award last Easter.

Still nothing else came so I contacted the D.O.E again. Yesterday we received his record book and a note to say that he had not actually completed the course so they had been unable to issue the award.

Luckily the D.O.E office phoned to see if we had had any joy. I explained the situation and he asked me to read all that was written in his log book. He confirmed that he had actually passed it but the school had been negligent in not getting it signed off officially. He can however rectify this by my sending it to him personally. He is also going to investigate the schools attitude.

I feel very angry that not only did the school prevent him from completing his school qualifications but also seem to have tried to prevent him from receiving reconisition for him one success.

If this is the school ethos I can now understand why an asd person with his level of difficulties was unable to cope in such an envronment.

:clap::clap::clap: Well done Neil - shame on the school though.

If he wants to continue through silver and gold the D of E Award chap can probably put him in touch with local groups running it - many Scout groups run the award alongside their own programme so there should be plenty of opportunities.

I gained my Gold Award myself and went on to become an Award Leader working mainly with the Bronze section kids. I later became a Cub Scout leader - all voluntary but great fun.

Glad he enjoyed it :dance::dance: And here's to receiving his next awards. :D

Desperate, >:D<<'>

I'm sorry, this can only add to your sense of injustice. :( They should be ashamed of themselves!!

Congratulations Neil :first: didn't you do well? :clap::clap::clap:

Nellie xx

Well done Neil! :clap::clap:

And well done you for chasing it up, desperate - you shouldn't have had to do it though. :wacko:

K x