lynyona

I saw for the first time today...

Hi

Kieran and me went to town today to do his shopping.We usually have the luxury of taking the car but dh needs it for work now so we had to take the bus.At the bus stop kieran is chatting away about the cars that are passing what make they are if he likes the colour.The bus came and we got on and went to our seat kieran not saying a word the bus sets off along its way and i happen to glance at Kieran who was sat to the left of me basically to see what he was doing and i saw for the first time how difficult he finds being on a bus with strangers the bus wasnt packed, he was sat with his head looking down to the floor and i spoke to him he didnt even look up but just turned is head and his eyes looked sideways at me and he said something in answer to what i said to him then he went back to the way he was.he didnt speak another word during the journey which takes 20 minutes or so,and all of a sudden i saw how hard it is for him to be amongst strangers and out of his home safe place and i suddenly felt so sad for him.Once off the bus he was chatting looking round for things he wanted to buy, but im wondering now why i hadnt seen this before.We always went in the car because he didnt like packed buses, but this was completely different,maybe i didnt want to but it made me feel sad deep inside.But a least he was pleased with his purchases and he was a bit more talkative on the way home.

lynn

I know how you feel. I've kind of adjusted over the years to my son's differences, but suddenly I will see something - a group of youngsters his age, looking happy and relaxed - and it will reduce me to tears.

My son is having to manage quite a lot on his own now, and when he needs to cross town, he will walk miles to avoid going on buses.

On the other hand - I've a feeling it upsets me more than it does him. He knows and accepts his limitations. He certainly isn't unhappy.

My son will walk right round our estate to avoid groups of lads hanging around. He will only walk to the bus stop if someone is going to meet him there. He would never get on a bus on his own :( He likes to sit in silence on a bus and much prefers the car.

Cat

:D hi my son was the same he use to get picked up by school taxi that picked so many other children up as well the way we got round it he would have headphones on listening to music he would always get in the same seat he would put his hood up and just look out of the window, he still does most of this now when he gets on public transport he will try his best to get a window seat hood up music on he said its the only way he can cope to block out as much as possible, my daughter goes silent on a bus and almost hides into me until we get off then she is ok but its not very often i have to get a bus as i have a car...jenny x

I think it will be a case of me getting my youngests car roadworthy, he is only just learning to drive, but it would be more economical for me to drive it untill he passes his test and a lot easier for kieran.Then we can just go straight to where he wants to go and home when we are ready and not waiting at an overly crowded bus stop.

lynn

me and el have been bussing it for years so its not so bad for us, saying that tho its quite often the passengers i feel for...... :blink: i am learning to drive so that its not so cringey when el is having a bad day, and also so she doesnt have people staring at her, she is very paranoid.