Sign in to follow this  
venus

educational psychologist

Hello I an recently new on here. I have a five year old son who was diagnosed in July as having autism. Yesterday he was seen at school by an educational psychologist.I didn't really know what to expect but she was lovely.She explained a lot of the things about autism that we did not always understand.My son has a big food issue and I was so embarresed when i had to tell her that he still has jars of baby food mixed with mashed potatoes and carrots for his tea but she was lovely and asked why Ifelt embarresed and said she was really pleased with what he eats as she has known some children to eat only two things so the fact that he ate about 10 foods was really good.She told us not to listen to all the other parents who think they know better and to do what we think is right for us.She said we were a strong couple and that our son was lucky to have us as parents(but she might not have thought that when my son wouldn't get dressed this morning and i threatend to take him to school naked) Any way just wanted to tell everyone how fantastic it was to be told these things especiaaly since the last two weeks have been a bit of a struggle and have been feeling a bit low over some things that my sister has said about how i bring up my son.She has not actually got any children of her own but she seems to think she could do a lot better but i bet she couldn't . Anyway i have walked with a spring in my step today and I FEEL GREAT. :D

Edited by venus

hello thats nice and dont worry about the baby food thats all my dd6 would eat shes 7 next week its hard work with the food but anything is better than nothing she was on the breast untill she was 2 years 7 months and no food untill she liked one baby food and thats all she would eat untill she was 5 now she will eat somethighs but its got to be the same thing all the time all the best jill

Isn't it nice when you meet someone that understands? :)

Good to meet you and glad that the EP has helped to boost your self esteem. :) We all need a good lift when you think aBOUT what we cope with on a daily basis. :blink:

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

what a lovely post! the EP sounds great, it really helps when they are understanding doesnt it. like she says, dont feel bad about the baby food, at least you know that they are healthy, and its good that he is eating different ones! el used to be awful with food but now she is one of the best eater's i know, she will try lots of stuff now i can hardly believe it sometimes!

am sorry to hear that your sis is so unsupportive.....she hasnt really got any right to lecture you has she....wonder how she would cope if the tables were turned? dont let her get you down!

and dont feel bad about the threats of a nudie trip to school....i have put el on the step in her underwear before now......it worked. might sound cruel but i had to get to work! :ph34r:

Thank you all for your replies,I only joined on here a few weeks ago but have been looking on here as a guest for over a year.I have found this forum really helpful and to understand that i am not the only one having problems or a bad day!

Hi Venus,

Often people are all too ready to find fault and blame the parents: it's refreshing to hear about your EP. She sounds fantastic! :thumbs:

K x

I'm so pleased to hear that - we need more professionals like that. It shouldn't be so hard to say something caring and supportive and that is actually of real use to your coping strategy.

Moira

She told us not to listen to all the other parents who think they know better and to do what we think is right for us.

And that mate is the best advice that anyone can EVER give you. On here we all understand and can give guidance / ideas on what works for us, but at the end of the day all our little uns are different and YOU know what works best for your lad.

As for your sis? Well, don't fall out with her (unless you want to of course :lol: ) but at the end of the day it does beat me how people always feel that they can tell you how to do stuff. Sometimes I think they do it cos they genuinely think they are helping, but sometimes I think it's just cos they think they are superior. Either way it's blooming annoying. I'm quite thick skinned these days & can generally ignore - if not I have a good stock of "put down" phrases to hand :lol:

My sis was a sod for giving me child rearing advice and once even went into a long diatribe of telling us that The Boy was like he is because DH and I weren't consistent in our treatment of him. To be fair she did try & back track when we got the dx, but unfortunately the damage has been done & I can never feel the same about her (although we have mended some bridges).

I'm really glad that you've got a professional that is supporting you. This is a major help when trying to sort out the things you need - esp as it's the EP that's so helpful cos education is a major minefield for a lot of us.

Hi, I must be really lucky because the doctor who diagnosed Owen was absolutely brillient,his school teacher is fantastic and so understanding and then the EP was just great.I will not fall out with my sister ,she mutters things under her breath and think I cannot hear but her words do upset me and I go home and cry and after a while I feel better. Her and her husbands lives are so different from mine that I can excuse her of some of the comments said and she cannot have children of her own so perhaps that is another reason.My dad refuses to accept that my son has autism and refuses to read any of the leaflets I have given him but my Mum is really good and tries so hard to understand and be supportive anyway must go I think 3 year old has switched Owen's playstion off -rather a lot of crying going on, thanks everyone