Sign in to follow this  
claire33

something or nothing

Hi all

Just wanted to mention something what happened today, after i collected k from school.

My partner has just started a new shift at work, his days off are usually mon, tues however they are now, wed, thurs and everyday k asks where he is and where his brother is even though he gets the same answer everyday.

Now k has no understanding of what day it is most of the time and its not that he does anything with my partner on these days, but today just as i was pulling up outside the house he asked who was at home

when i said no-one the biggest petlip you have ever seen came out and he was almost in tears,

"but i thought he wasnt at work today though" he said

so i told him he was now off on a wed, thurs , ive never known him do that before, yet when i asked why he was upset he said he wasn't and went off to his room as usual.

How do i work that one out any ideas????? :blink:

What was his last lesson that day..... maybe he associates the end of that school day with your partner being there....... they do have amazing memories.....

Just a thought...

oh yeah thats a very good point jo.....its part of his routine for that day for him to be there when he gets home isnt it. thats really sweet tho that he is sad your partner isnt there, iykwim :wub:

oh yeah thats a very good point jo.....its part of his routine for that day for him to be there when he gets home isnt it. thats really sweet tho that he is sad your partner isnt there, iykwim :wub:

Yeah but was he sad or just confused???

Who knows eh!!

I dont think he knew he was tearful :tearful: or the pet lip had come out the thats the best bit

What it must be like eh

dont feel stupid chic!!! there's been loads of things with el that have been so obvious to other people but not to me!!! when you are in a situation it can be really difficult to see the whole picture, dont feel bad you are doing a great job and our kids can be so difficult to understand. poor el i make loads of mistakes all the time....its all a learning process...... >:D<<'>

dont feel stupid chic!!! there's been loads of things with el that have been so obvious to other people but not to me!!! when you are in a situation it can be really difficult to see the whole picture, dont feel bad you are doing a great job and our kids can be so difficult to understand. poor el i make loads of mistakes all the time....its all a learning process...... >:D<<'>

Thanks i guess sometimes your just trying to see things so badly that you miss whats staring you in the face

I'm still struggling to get used to my own new days off, which changed in September :o

If someone else works different days, it really confuses me for several days.

It doesn't upset me, just confuses me, and it takes me a long time to get used to new routines.

Claire your son sounds so like mine!!

I have made a big wall chart with a moveable today on it. As my boy has auditory processing difficulties i have pictures that i stick on for each event that is coming that month. At breakfast time we discuss what is coming up in the week and then we work out how many sleeps until the event. He has no idea of time or days of the week in relation to him so we always talk in terms of how many sleeps. It prevents too many suprises and gives him time to adjust if the week is going to different to the norm. Each day he can check it if he needs reassurance. I suppose its a visual time table for home

Hope that makes sense!! :blink:

I also have a wall chart for my 6 year old HFA son - he doesn't really understand days of the week and would always wake up and ask "is it a school day?" (he hates going to school). But he is a good reader, and I drew up a chart with "school", "mummy" and "daddy" days labelled, which I cross off each day. If there is going to be a change such as holidays, I write down where he is going or who he will be with for the day. He also accepts changes alot easier if I show him I'm crossing something out on the chart. It seems to have helped J a lot and has reduced his stress levels, as he can check his chart when he wants to.

claire33 definately dont feel stupid,steven is 13 and im as much in the dark about his behaviour as i was when he was a toddler!!steven confuses me every day :wacko:

Claire your son sounds so like mine!!

I have made a big wall chart with a moveable today on it. As my boy has auditory processing difficulties i have pictures that i stick on for each event that is coming that month. At breakfast time we discuss what is coming up in the week and then we work out how many sleeps until the event. He has no idea of time or days of the week in relation to him so we always talk in terms of how many sleeps. It prevents too many suprises and gives him time to adjust if the week is going to different to the norm. Each day he can check it if he needs reassurance. I suppose its a visual time table for home

Hope that makes sense!! :blink:

K has some visual ques just still trying to work out how to use them

Hi I think any change can just be a bit confusing and creates anxiety.I have wondered at various times whether I may have some Asperger Syndrome.I find change difficult even when it is a good thing that is happening.Hence if my OH happens to be here when he would usually be at work I can get anxious even though it is a positive thing.I cope with it now because I understand that is how I am.I cannot explain it logically though. :D:D

Similarly Ben always asks us what time it is when he goes to the toilet.He is not interested in the answer-we could tell him it is the middle of the night and he would not notice.It is his way of making sure he is ok.Don't feel bad that you did not understand easily-these things are not logical in a NT way. :D:D:D Karen