Sign in to follow this  
witsend

Changing schools

Hi - posted a couple of weeks or so ago about my son hating his new (special) high school, never got much chance to post again until now, things have been pretty dreadful! :(

To cut a pretty long story short I have decided to that this school is not right for my son. Though recent communications with the staff at the school and a chat with a fellow parent whoise child attends the school I have basically found out some stuff which really concerns me about the school and this coupled with how genuinely unhappy my son is have helped me make my mind up that I need to get him out of there fast.

So tomorrow I will have to ring LEA. Wonder if anyone can advise me hear? Do we have to have e review meeting before I take my son out of the school, I'm just concerned as to how long they may take to set this up. Also do you think the LEA are going to be really awkward about it all after I made a massive fuss to get son into this school in the first place, or do you think they'll be OK with it 'cos it means they don't have to pay the special school fees anymore? (cynical I know :P)

My son is desperate to attend mainstream high school and after much angst and consideration I want him to be given the chance to do this, I know the school he is at now are going to say this isn't a good idea (well what they have said so far is that it would be a disaster!) but I have good reason to beleive they have their own agenda here. :ph34r: Trouble is are the LEA more likely to listen to their views rather than mine?

I know none of you have a crystal ball here, but would appreciate your thoughts on this situation before as I prepare for batlle (yet again).

Thanks - Luv Witsend.

The reduced cost may help, but will the mainstream secondary agree to take him?

I would imagine you would have to have an early review to discuss this. If nothing has changed since the statement was written, it may be hard to convince the LEA that mainstream will be OK.

Karen

Hi Kazz, don't know if the mainstream will accept him but would imagine they will if they have a place :blink: .

It was us not LEA who argued for a special school in the first place so I'm hoping they will agree to it, but obviously nothing has really changed for my son from an academic viewpoint so I can see a big inquisition ahead on that score.

Surely they can't insist my son stays at a school where he is miserable and where he is not learning can they? :(

I'm so fed up with it all just feel like keeping him at home where he is safe, and if he can't change schools soon than I'm afraid that is whats going to happen. Anyway guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens tomorrow.

Luv Witsend.

Hi witsend,

Sorry to hear your son's not happy at his new school. From personal experience, when Kai started at his special school, he had a review 3 months after starting to assess whather the placement was right for him. I don't know if this applies to all special schools or not?

Sorry i don't have any advice, but good luck with the LEA.

Loulou xx

Hi witsend,

Sorry to hear your son's not happy at his new school. From personal experience, when Kai started at his special school, he had a review 3 months after starting to assess whather the placement was right for him. I don't know if this applies to all special schools or not?

Sorry i don't have any advice, but good luck with the LEA.

Loulou xx

Thanks loulou, as far as I know the next review meeting is due in the summer - no one has told me otherwise. Son has been at this school 2 months now, so am hoping we can get a review before Christmas under the circumstances. I live in hope anyway! :D

Luv Witsend.

Hi Witsend,

Sorry your son is so unhappy. I hope you manage to get a meeting set up soon.

In wanting a mainstream school you have the law on your side, at least. A child must be educated in as mainstream school unless this is incompatible with the wishes of his parents or the efficient education of other children. The LEA would have to prove that there are no reasonable adjustments that can be made to accommodate your son in a mainstream school. This applies to mainstream school in general, there is no guarantee that a particular school will accept him, but they would have to have a very good reason not to.

K x

Edited by Kathryn

Hi Witsend, first of all, I wouldn't worry about what the LEA people think about your decision one way or another, you are allowed to change your mind and you didn't know whether the school was going to be right until you tried it. If your son is that unhappy then you are doing the right thing in deciding to change placements, you know him best.

Could you perhaps set up a meeting with the head of the mainstream school to discuss whether they would take your son? Then you could ask the head to put in writing that there is a place available for your lad and you can present that to the LEA and just state your intentions to move him from, say, January. They should respond pretty quickly with a meeting.

Very best of luck, hope you find the placement that is right for your son.

~ Mel ~ >:D<<'>

Thanks all of you for the advice, you have boosted my confidence which i needed :clap: .

I have rung the mainstream school today couldn't speak to the SENCO but can do so on Thurs, but the person I spoke to told me they do have places at the school in yr 7 and they also have other kids with probs similar to mine :) . Also the recent ofsted report for this school is favuorable for the SENCO provision. :)

Rang the LEA next but obviously the guy I need to speak to not there was supposed to ring me back but obviously he hasn't! Just feel so much better though now I've started the ball rolling.

Luv Witsend.

Well LEA guy rang back, took me by surprise caught me off guard at 5.30! Said could have review ? early next year but said may be awkward to change schools so early on and he will have to talk to ed psych involved! This worries me 'cos frankly from the last meeting we had with him he was less than supportive! :( Also obviously has to talk to school again although I know he has to I think school will strongly advise against son moving. Just sat here thinking here we go again really. :(

Still on the positive side he said encouraging things about the mainstream school I'm proposing.

Anyway said he'll contact me next week - so watch this space I guess.

Luv Witsend.