witsend

Statement tweaking?

Hi again - posted the other day about 'changing schools' issue, bit of an update here hot off the press and a question. Got in from work today to find LEA chap had left an ansaphone message, saying he had spoken to the school and the best thing would be for us to have a meeting soon - all well and good - but then he went on to say they are in the process of issuing a proposed statement following the last review meeting we had and that this statement of course says sons needs best met in a special school. Obviously now I'm wanting him to go to mainstream so am a bit worried about the implications. Chap said in his message that we need to look at it (the statement) and see if it needs 'tweaking'!

So now am sat here wondering what that means. Do you think he means they will alter it to fit in with us wanting him to go to mainstream or is he saying becaue the statement is as it is they are going to argue to keep him where he is? What do you think?

Also as it is a proposed statement am I correct in remembering I will get chance to query it/disagree with it before it becomes fully fledged if you know what I mean?

Luv Witsend.

Also as it is a proposed statement am I correct in remembering I will get chance to query it/disagree with it before it becomes fully fledged if you know what I mean?

Definitely right there! :) The whole gamut from asking for sections to be rewritten, if you feel it necessary, :lol: right up to an appeal to SENDIST

So now am sat here wondering what that means. Do you think he means they will alter it to fit in with us wanting him to go to mainstream or is he saying becaue the statement is as it is they are going to argue to keep him where he is? What do you think?

I can't believe an LEA would fight to keep a child in a special school when:

he or his parents do not want him to be there

it costs less

the law favours mainstream inclusion.

Part 2 and 3 of the statement would probably need some changes to fit in with a mainstream school placement.

I hope the meeting happens soon, Witsend, and that it goes OK. :pray:

K x

We had to battle to get our son into special school. The LEA would have been ecstatic if we'd said mainstream (it was what they pushed for). So I agree with Kathryn, I think it's highly unlikely the LEA will try to make you keep your lad in special if you want mainstream.

Witsend

It is highly unlikely that an LEA would propose a special school if they didn't think that it was the best thing for your child as it costs them a lot more money. It is a good opportunity to reflect on why you wish him to tremain in mainstream and whether that really is the best option.

I was very reluctant to consider Special School for all kinds of reasons, but now our two boys with Autism (9 and nearly 7) are in an Autism-specific Special School and thriving. Things are much better for all of us.

Simon

Hi thanks for the replies.

First it was me not the LEA who pushed for a special school as at that time I thought it was the right thing to do, however it was all a last minute thing arising from comments some educationalists (head teacher, Ed Psych) had made and I think I panicked a bit and was not given much clear info about our options early enough. At the last review meeting when trying to decide the best school for my son to go to nearly evry professional in there had a differing opinion :blink: none of it was helpful :( .

I still think a special school may well be the best option for my son but sadly there are none appropriate in our area.

The special school he goes to now is an hours taxi drive each way as it is. Unfortunately I have found out some things about the school which are very worrying, that in itself is all a long story but they are serious concerns and these coupled with how miserable my son is there have made me reach the descision that he can't remain there. Belive me I have already reflected long and hard on the situation, and it seems mainstream with support is the only option available now (eithe that or home ed :o:D )

Simon I have nothing against special schools but this one are just not doing what they are supposed to and worse than that they are covering it up.

Just thought I'd give a bit of background as I know most of us are fighting to get our kids into special ed not out of it and I must sound like a crazy person :lol:

Cheers - Luv Witsend.

Hi thanks for the replies.

First it was me not the LEA who pushed for a special school as at that time I thought it was the right thing to do, however it was all a last minute thing arising from comments some educationalists (head teacher, Ed Psych) had made and I think I panicked a bit and was not given much clear info about our options early enough. At the last review meeting when trying to decide the best school for my son to go to nearly evry professional in there had a differing opinion :blink: none of it was helpful :( .

I still think a special school may well be the best option for my son but sadly there are none appropriate in our area.

The special school he goes to now is an hours taxi drive each way as it is. Unfortunately I have found out some things about the school which are very worrying, that in itself is all a long story but they are serious concerns and these coupled with how miserable my son is there have made me reach the descision that he can't remain there. Belive me I have already reflected long and hard on the situation, and it seems mainstream with support is the only option available now (eithe that or home ed :o:D )

Simon I have nothing against special schools but this one are just not doing what they are supposed to and worse than that they are covering it up.

Just thought I'd give a bit of background as I know most of us are fighting to get our kids into special ed not out of it and I must sound like a crazy person :lol:

Cheers - Luv Witsend.

I'm in a similar situation Witsend. My lad (13) would never cope in a mainstream secondary so we fought hard after two years of home ed to get him into an ASD unit attached to a mainstream. Now I often regret doing it, there are things that I'm really unhappy about, but I feel there is no other choice, it's either that or take him out again. It's a catch 22 situation, isn't it! :(>:D<<'> I often feel like running away with him and hub to a remote Scottish island and leaving it all behind. :P

~ Mel ~

Hi Mel - the remote Scottish island thing made me smile it is what I have said so often! :D I didn't realise other people were busy fantasising about it too! Do you think that means if we took ourselves off it actually wouldn't be remote at all but densly populated with worn out society weary 'ASD' families? :lol:

Sounds like you've been through the education mill too - do you think we should start a school on the island or just give it up as bad job? :P

Luv Witsend.

Another one here who often thinks about a remote Scottish Island (is someone on a remote Scottish Island about to pop up here and say 'actually....there's problems on remote Scottish Islands too....')