fiorelli

Just got back from 'emergency' CAMHS meeting

I called CAMHS a few weeks ago in tears needing to speak to Louis's psych. The earliest appointmnt they had was today, and it was with a different doctor.

We discussed what has been happening. The long shot of it is that he needs to stop the meds he was on (ritalin and melatonin), because the ritalin was having limited effect for the dosage, and the melatonin because it wasn't doing anything!

We have now been told to try Equasym, to be given in the morning, ritalin to be given around 5 o'clock, and Risperdal Quicklets to be given at 7.00pm. (oh, and I have to somehow get Louis to have bloods taken in the new year to check his levels because one of the meds can alter them)

She said that if these meds don't work, then they are going to have to do a full med review.

She was very nice, and asked me to let her know whether the meds are working or not.

Fingers crossed they do something!

hi fiorelli... my little boy also a louis was moved on to equasym xl and so far we have had good results with him.his tic has calmed down and his asd hasnt got worse.he is also doing better at school.i do hope for your little lad things improve.love noogsy

noogsy, do you mind me asking what dosage of equasym your louis is on? My louis has been put on 30 mg, but the doc told me that it is supposed to work from say 8.00am until 4.00pm but that in her experience is doesn't usually.

Hi Fiorelli,

Is it Equasym XL, ie the slow release form?

The blood tests are due to the Risperdol, because it can cause problems with liver function (very rare though). The Risperdol can help with sleep, so giving it at 7pm sounds like a good idea.

Glad the appointment went well :D .

Loulou xx

Hi Fiorelli,

I think it's probably the same as Concerta XL which Kai is on. I know Concerta and Equasym are both slow release forms of Ritalin. With the slow release form you don't get the "tail off " that you sometimes get with the short acting Ritalin, so hopefully it will suit Louis better.

Good luck,

Loulou xx

hi fiorelli.my little boy is on 40xl he is 9 years old and is just under 5 stone he is 142cms(quite tall)but i think for his height and weight his meds can ( the doctor thinks it) go up to 50xl.we are keeping the last 10 for emergencies.ie if his meds stop working......for us it has made such a differnce for my wee boy because the day he started his meds he started to talk to people in his class this was a huge breakthrough.he had a bash at playing football(very badly)his writting improved(ie the teacher could read it)we were unhappy about going down the meds route but frankly it has been the best thing for our babe...even if it makes us as parents cringe a bit....my louis is doing really well.he has gone from a child who we thought would be at special school to a child who is going to be staying mainstream and going to normal high school...hope i have helped..love noogsy