Sign in to follow this  
JenRose

Good news at last

Got a phonecall this morning to say that a house was available for us to rent from our HA.

We went to look at it and it is really nice, its on the edge of a rough area but its a fairly new build plot of houses, its got a garden at the front and back and a large drive way, a toilet on the normal floor (ours is in the loft conversion) and although it needs a bit of work we are very excited!!!!!!!!!

Just got to prepare M and R now for the move, we have sold our house and we can move into this one in early feb.

Has anyone got any advice,suggestions on preparing 2 children with ASD for a house move?

Thanks

Ohhh, fantastic news well done you

Perhaps a social story with picture of their new house, their bedrooms, bathroom etc.

Ask them, give them choice of two colours which they can have their room decorated in so they have the excitement of that especially if they don't want to move.

I've done four moves with my son but we've been in this house I think 4 years and my son keeps telling me he does not want to move.

I think if the children aren't keen I would be bigging it up, all the great things they will be able to do and maybe a "when we move we can have something nice for the garden, swing/slide or something", perhaps have it their for the day you move in, lol

Hope the move is not to stressfull for you, take care >:D<<'>

Hi,

That's fab news :dance: .

I moved house with Kai (8) in the summer. We'd been in our old house since he was born.

I did what stressedmum suggested and took pictures of the house so i could show him what it would be like. The other thing i did was take a walk around the area with him, so he could see what was there. I tried to point out positive things to get him keen on the idea like, "Wow, you'll be able to ride your bike around here because there's no busy road!".

I also let him decide how his room would be decorated. Will you be able to do any work on the house before you actually have to move in? My Dad (bless him) managed to decorate Kai's room before we moved in, so it was all ready for him to put his toys in and settle down.

All in all, he coped really well. On moving day, he helped load up the van and became obsessed with the tail-lift, but it kept him occupied!

All the best,

Loulou xx

thats fantastic.we moved into our new house a few weeks ago.we took flynn to see thhe new house and showed him his new room.i was dreading it because it was his first own room.te movin in was fine but he prefers to sleep in his brothers room with him!