Sign in to follow this  
opheila

special needs car seat

Hi can anyone tell me if they have manage to get a special needs car seat from occupational therapist of disablilities social worker.

I am finding it harder and harder to restrain my son in his car seat and things came to a head today when he got so out of control he was banging his head of the car window and kicking me and hitting me in the facel

I contacted my sons disabilities scoial worker and explain i cannot keep him restrained in it any longer she is sending an occupational thrapist out to see me

I just wondered if anyone managed to get a car seat or have you had to find the money yourselves. I cannot belive that they are asking over four hundred pounds for special needs car seats and i just dont have that kind of money :(

The OT does need to do the assessment to obtain the funding for the car seat, so its the process of having it I am afraid, the other idea I have is what about visitiing your local mencap or other disabilty services such as childrens developmental centre who may have one to loan to you until the funding is exepted.

just an idea,

JsMum

No help really, but I am having to go down this route to as my son is getting harder to restrain in the car; he can escape from high back booster seats, undo his 5 point harness one etc.

I am hoping that he can have a houdini harness in my car, just like he does on school transport - but no idea if these are any cheaper than the special needs car seat.

Would be interested in knowing if you succeed in getting one via OT.

Nikki.

You can buy various different harnesses for car seats etc from crelling..

http://www.crelling.com/

i just asked our OT up here about them funding a SN car seat because they're about �250 more expensive than a standard one, but apparently they dont (we're in Scotland). They would fund one for his taxi that takes him to school, but not for our personal use.

Lynne x

We got houdini harnesses for our twin boys from our OT. They can't get out of them at all BUT the seatbelt does need to be worn over it aswell which our boys both mess with this from time to time. They are getting better since being at school though.