Sign in to follow this  
chriss

Just tics or full blown Tourettes?

Hi,

My 7 year old son has a diagnosis of Aspergers syndrome. He also tics a lot. This started when he was 3 with rapid eye blinking for about 4 months. Since then he has constantly had at least one tic. We've had sniffing, coughing, throat clearing, grunting and teeth grinding at various times. When he is very upset he rolls his eyes and can pull some very odd expressions.

When he was younger this didn't bother him but now his classmates are starting to notice and say things (not nastily as yet). I want to know if this is full blown Tourettes or just tics and if it is is it worth seeking a diagnosis? I think teachers might be more protective of him at school if he had a diagnosis. Also I used to think these tics would lessen as he aged but now I've read that they get worse with puberty!

Does anyone have any advice?

Sounds like Tourette's. If so, there are likely to be other Neurological diversities, including OCD, and one or more of Dyslexia/Dyspraxia/Dyscalculia

I would strongly suggest getting a diagnosis, just for the key reason, that you will know what you are dealing with.

I was not diagnosed with Tourettes until last year, (aged 46) and I never really understood why I was so different at school, and so eccentric at Uni.

Mark

steve has lots of tics,especially eye twitching and throat clearing,he gets much worse if hes anxious,doctors call it mild tourettes

Hi chriss,

My son has tics - he will grimace, clears his throat, makes a 'hmmm' noise, shrugs his shoulders etc...etc... This has always been part of him and i was never sure of the line between ASD stim - tic - tourettes.

However, just recently - his tics have become worse and he will now get very frustrated with them. He is able to stop them, but will then run up to his room - bury his face in a pillow and 'release' them.

We've just begun the process (with his pead) to look into his tics and see if it is tourettes or not.

Personally - i think it's worth looking into it further. >:D<<'>

Hi

My son has Tourettes. He was diagnosed almost 2 1/2 years ago but looking back had been ticcing since he was about 5. He has his regular tics which are blinking, eye rolling, mouth stretching, tongue poking, nose twitching and screaming. He's had loads of others that come and go such as licking, head shaking, various noises and repetitive sounds, whistling, leg pulling, all sorts really.

To be classified as Tourette Syndrome, a person has to have had both motor and vocal tics for a 12 month period but not necessarily at the same time.

He also has OCD which does seem to go hand in hand with the TS.

Sam x

Thanks for the responses. >:D<<'>

Mark have your tics changed much in intensity over the years?I am interested to know if things get easier in adulthood (and worse in puberty!)

My son does have OCD too which is another sure sign I guess. I have been to the Doctors before regarding these tics but of course he repressed them, but I think I'll write to his Paediatrician.

Thanks again everyone.

Edited by chriss

Chris,

Before I answer that question, firstly I must point out that more often than not, people's tics get worse during puberty, and lessen (although not dissapear) in adulthood.

My answer to the question is not the standard one - in my case my tics have never been as prominent as they are now. I think the reason for this is that I am now TS aware (I was not a couple of years ago), and, quite frankly, I don't give a hoot if others are upset about my tics.

I do, though, get embarrassed about some of the more vocal outbursts especially when they contain the rude words that, unfortunately, Tourettes has, incorrectly, become associated with.

Hi

My uncle has Tourettes and my son has Aspergers. This sounds very like Tourettes to me. My uncle has the eye blinking, grunting, throat clearing, sniffing, odd little noises and spitting. He started off with one or two things and it gradually progressed from there (that's not to say that your son will). I know that some people with Tourettes have actual bodily movements.

We too were told the same about my uncle (he's 8 years older than me), about his Tourettes worsening during puberty. We were also told that Tourettes usually lessens in severity (perhaps not the right word) at about 21. Certainly in my uncle's case, his Tourettes stabilised at about 21 (he's 41 now).

I think it's definitely worth seeking a diagnosis. I found with my son, the minute we got a diagnosis, things started happening in terms of receiving attention/help. Your son may also want answers ie being told about having a condition which isn't his fault may give some reassurance or at least provide an explanation.

Best of luck.

Caroline.

Just as an aside, my lad got his first 'proper' vocal tic today. He's had lots before, whistling, screaming and odd noises but never any proper words. Of all the bizarre phrases to say, he has started to tic "Test Drive"!! It actually sounds quite cute and we all had a bit of a giggle! Bless him!

Just as an aside, my lad got his first 'proper' vocal tic today.

FairyNormal - Isaac has now graduated, congratulations :D - From now onwards, many of his vocal tics will sound strange/bizarre but sometimes there'll be some true gems.

The Aspergers (being not afraid to tell things as they are) along with vocal tics may just get him into bother at times - believe me, I know from 1st hand experience. As long as you are aware of this, you will be able to cope when it happens.

Can I ask something..........I have had very mild tics/convulsions for many years......but just recently they have become much more pronounced....especially if I have been drinking alcohol. It started with back convulsions some years ago...not too bad because this was at night when in bed , but has now progressed to hand/arm twitching and finger flicking, mostly my left side which can happen at any time. Since my partner noticed this it seems to have escalated, possibly as I no longer have to try and hide it.

Is this familiar behaviour to anyone? I can control it if I try,..... except when drinking alcohol.......but I don't actually mind it as it seems to be a sort of release......I just worry about other people seeing it......I haven't really discussed it with my partner.....but I know she is concerned.