Sign in to follow this  
phoebe

statement for high functioner

Has anyone recently received a statement for their child who is HF, but needs help with social interactions, with listening to instruction, with accepting the hierarchy of society and managing their own feelings and stresses.................etc

We are trying to get support for our DS who is very rigid in his belief of how to do things and very resistant to others suggestions. He is able, but attempts to alter tasks to accommodate his own interests or goes off on a tangent. He is increasingly losing access to the national curriculum because of his difficulties. We have received a proposed statement of ten hours support, but I know it is too "wooly."

Is anyone willing to let me see their unwoolied final statement?

I seem to be going round in circles and dont know what to aim for/what or how help can be provided.

I have read the AFASIC info on the proposed statement and have read and re-read all the documents but am still struggling.

Please help.

Thank you

Phoebe

You are welcome to see my two ASD kids statements. I have them on the computor so if you want to see them let me know. They are a little wooly still as they are still in proposed phase, but none the less some very detailed stuff in there. Both kids are different, one has 25 hours the other has 15. The one with 15 hours is mainly the stuff you mentioned.

You are welcome to see my two ASD kids statements. I have them on the computor so if you want to see them let me know. They are a little wooly still as they are still in proposed phase, but none the less some very detailed stuff in there. Both kids are different, one has 25 hours the other has 15. The one with 15 hours is mainly the stuff you mentioned.

Yes please - have PM'd you

Phoebe

Has anyone recently received a statement for their child who is HF, but needs help with social interactions, with listening to instruction, with accepting the hierarchy of society and managing their own feelings and stresses.................etc

I had this statement in Y7 at a mainstream school. Two hours a week were spent 1:1 with an LEA rep to try and improve my social skills and teach me about unwritten rules of life like hierarchy. The sessions proceeded reasonably well but the desired outcomes failed to materialise during the rest of a school day.

He is increasingly losing access to the national curriculum because of his difficulties. We have received a proposed statement of ten hours support, but I know it is too "wooly."

I lost a PE lesson and a PHSE lesson as the school saw them the best to sacrifice but they were unwilling to allocate more time because of the ineffectiveness of these sessions.

Phoebe, you're welcome to read my son's, I re-wrote it myself as the LEAs was soooooooo wooly it was completely illegal. Because I cross-referenced EVERY change I made to all those reports that they should have used themselves, they couldn't really say it wasn't appropriate to my son and accepted nearly ALL of it, with the result that my son's statement is one of the most detailed statement anyone has ever seen (so they keep exclaiming anyway). You're welcome to read it, but I don't have it on the computer so would have to send it by normal post, which is fine with me. Pm me with your address if you'd like that.

Thank you for your replies. I am feeling a bit less panicky now and have requested a meeting with the lea to discuss the proposed statement.

I had never seen a statement before and have no experience of what it should include, also the school seem to think that they dont need to provide any extra support. These issues we need to clarify and that is why I have asked for the meeting.

My son doesnt need SALT or ocupational therapy or any very specific help that you would expect an outside agency to come in and provide, his needs are totally around interpretting and fitting into the world, about learning about social interaction and how he affects the way other people are towards him, about accepting the hierarchy of society, about not following his own agenda, about listening to the work set and at least trrying to do it, not changing it to what he wants to do, about anger management...... I could go on!!!!

What I dont know is how I can get this support for him, or how I can make the school/LEA provide the right opportunities within the 10 hours per week that they have allowed. The proposed statement, I fear will make no difference at all to how he is educated.

Mother in need, if these are the sort of issues for which you have gained provision within your statement, then yes, please, please let me have a look at it.I will send my address by PM.

Phoebe, I'd say so. Statements are divided into the following sections: 1. legal intro, child's detials etc. 2. special educational needs (so what needs the child has). 3. special educational provision (how they are supposed to provide for those needs) and then 4, 5 6, school placement, non-educational needs and provision.

Under 2 my son's needs are under the following headings (with each being thoroughly detailed): 1. emotional and behavioural difficulties, 2. limited communication skills, 3. limited social interaction skills, 4. poor personal organisational skills, 5. motor coordination difficulties, 6. sensory difficulties, 7. medical difficulties.

As you can see, there are no difficulties about learning itself, he is doing his first year of GCSEs and achieving As, yet he is in a unit and receives fulltime 1-2-1.

under 3 there are general objectives which are then split into smaller ones to provide for, ie use of strategies to alleviate his anxieties, social skills programme, etc etc.

Like you, I had never seen a statement till the LEA sent me their draft, and I too had no idea what to expect.