Sign in to follow this  
NikkiSmith

What to expect from an OT via Social Services?

Social worker referred us to an OT (there is some difference between SS OT and an NHS one?) in November and I got a letter saying we were on the waiting list, but it was over a year long, so thought nothing more about it.

End of last week I got a call from SS OT saying she was free on the 13th was that ok. Well the woman must think I'm a gibbering nutcase as I could barely speak, I was so shocked! :blink:

She wants to come and talk to me in the morning (without ds's around) and then will come back again after school to meet ds2 & 3! Two visits in one day :rolleyes:

I know SW was going to get in touch with them and see where on the list we were, but now I'm wondering what on earth she said to them!

I don't know exactly what I am supposed to say to her - what can she do for us? (I know that's a really silly question, but I'm still wearing my "L" plates as far as all these professionals involved in ASD stuff!)

Anyone got more of a clue on such things?

You all seem to be such fab experts around here. :notworthy:

Nikki.

Don't know about ss OT but we are just into consultation with community OT. She saw me alone and asked where issues lay then did a sensory profile which showed problems in sensory seeking avoidance and modulation. Questions about how he reacts in certain situations, food issues does he seek out movement etc.

She observed him in school, breakfast club and has put things in place for him. She gave him a hug vest to wear before stressful events like going to school. This only happened in last week and a bit so don't know if it is having effect yet!

She was very helpful, listened to my issues and is really the first person who has put his behaviour dowm to the fact his mind is a difficult place to be with many conflicting messages and he is not simply trying to wind everyone up!

Hope it goes well!

Carrie

Our OT asked questions about our son birth history illness difficulties etc. Than she asked what we wanted from OT. My answer was just to get him through the school day.

Jen