Sign in to follow this  
JenRose

What can i do?

Dont know what to do with R,s nursery situation.

Our independant psych went in and observed her and he said that she is basically imitating other children,showing little imagination, inflexibility etc and that she needs more support.

So i left a copy of his report with the SENCO and yesterday she handed it back to me and said "I mean, what is THAT". I was speechless.

The lady from the team that goes into school and works with children on the spectrum has told me that she doesnt agree with the independent psychs report and that R does show interaction,imagination.

Despite me telling them that most of her speech is echolalic,-they are treating it as if she has loads of vocabulary and telling me that she doesnt have problems.

The CDC report said she has echolalic/delayed language and is showing signs of ASD but the nursery refuse to believe it.

I dont know what more to do, its the same situation that i had with M 2 years ago.

im fast running out of ideas and feeling a bit overwhelmed. :(

do you know what i didnt even think about that. I thought (perhaps stupidly) that because this lady is supposed to be an expert in working with children on the spectrum that she would give a true picture, but she cant be that much of an expert or she,s colluding with the SENCO, which is more than likely as she told me that when i had phoned her for a referral she phoned the nursery (why?) and the SENCO told her that they dont have any concerns.

I havent put in for an asessment yet as she starts education in sep and i want her to go to a specific primary school with an ASD/language unit and i thought it would be better to do the asessment when she,s started the education bit.

Or can i request it before then, im not sure how it works with a child who hasnt yet started education.

All i know is that there is not a good relationship with us as R,s parents and the SENCO already!!!!

Would the independant psych be willing to speak directly to the nursery?

>>i want her to go to a specific primary school with an ASD/language unit

Will she get into this school/unit if she does not have a Statement? How much help will she get if she is in the school but not in the Unit?

Karen

yes the independent psych is coming to the next meeting with us on the 30th of march.

He keeps saying not to worry etc, but its easy to say that when its not your child.

With regards to the ASD/language unit school, children can go there without a statement but, my nephew has been there for 2 years, he has speech difficulties and now because they think he has come on they are taking him out and putting him back into mainstream-he doesnt have a statement, i told SIL 2 years ago that they would probably do this but she disagreed, i dont want the same thing to happen to R, so i will be applying for a statement but this school doesnt take nursery children into the unit, the nursery R is at has speech therapists coming in and working with children all the time, it has an ICAN worker that comes in but the SENCO says that R probably wont fit the criteria for it.

I dont understand this womans problems at all, if the CDC and the indpendent psych are saying speech difficulties etc then who is she to say different?

There is another SENCO at the nursery, but i dont like confrontation/rocking the boat, im a bit soft when it comes to that, i just keep thinking that i should work alongside with her and then getting confused by the way that she is.