Sign in to follow this  
carrieq

Co-ordinated Support Plan

We finally have our initial meeting today to see if ds meets the criteria for CSP. Just wondering if anyone has managed to get one? Have been told by Ed Psych that our authority will have only a handful of kids on them, just wondered what it was like elsewhere???

Carrie

Edited by carrieq

hi carrie

we applied for one last year but got turned down. Instead we where told that an Individual Educational Plan was sufficient. I'm still not coninced that this is the case and not always confident that they are able to undestand his complex difficuties ( we struggle with them too) He's in third year and has aspergers, adhd and also ODD.......I contacted enquire who were very useful and full of good advice and in retrospect wish that we had taken one of their representatives with us to the meeting as it may have made a difference. There is no doubt that he is difficult in the classroom and doesn't always welcome their support and like many others we have had exclusions and reduced timetables etc...... I would have thought that a CSP was essential in order to meet his educational needs.

good luck and remember to contact ENQUIRE if you feel you need extra advice and support.

best wishes

Jessie

Well he didn't meet the requirements as his additional input from agencies outside education was only classed as high and not significant due to the fact that input is now in blocks (6 weeks on and 6 off for foreseeable future) and not continuous. Will check this out with ENQUIRE but really didn't expect him to get one!

Thanks for reply!

Carrie

Hi Carrie,

Until today, I had no idea what a CSP was. We had a meeting today at the nursery to plan ahead for the Wee Man's future, and I'm just going through the CSP template document just now. We're in Renfrewshire, and for the professionals involved it seemed to be a novel experience, which I think tells its own tale! Certainly in that nursery (which caters for SEN) the Wee Man is the first to get one.

Good luck for the future!

MM.

The CSP now replaces the old record of needs. If your child has a record of needs they will automatically go onto the new CPS. The CPS follows along the lines of a chain reaction from the date when you ask for one or write your letter they have so many days to respond and then so many days for the next stage and so on..... I had considered one for my son who has Asperger Syndrome adn will be going to the high school in two years time . however, as Principal teacher in my school I was sent on the traiing course for our school . So if any parents ask for a CPS I will be able to start the 'chain of event.' After being on the course I have to say I think it is a complete and utter waste of time ...The new guidelines states that a child will only require a CPS if they have several outside agencies working for your child this does not include ed.psy learning support (which is dealt with in school) The CPS basically ensures that at a review meeting they will try to get these agencies at the same meeting. Unfortunately the guidelines have now opened up the flood gates by stating that all children at some point may need extra support through a CPS at some point in their education eg. Children who suffer a breavement, travelling children and so on .... I strongly feel that the children who genuinely require support are being shunted. The CPS does not benefit my son in the same way as the record of needs did in the past. The CPS was only introduced a short time ago I can't quite remember of hand and so at this time there will not be many children who have a CPS . I've left all my notes at school so I can't give you the correct jargon but this is the jist of it. If teh record of needs was still in place I would go down that route but I will not be asking for a CPS it really does not hold much weight.

Moncs sorry about all the spelling errors

I've just reread some of the earlier points and thought I should clarify some points. The CSP is very new and so many children will not have one. Many Professionals will have no experience of using one or gone through the steps to get one. Class teachers will not be involved in the process It will be the HT. responsibility , depute , PT, or an assigned coordinator within the school . The class teacher will however be involved in writing up the targets for your child's IEP which is of greater importance to their daily education . The CPS on the other hand is as the name implies it is a way to coordinate outside agencies.

Only two children in my LA have one. C will not get one as he does not meet the required level of multi-agency input. Children with a record of need (RON) will not automatically receive a CSP, as many with a RON do not receive multi-agency support. My R has a RON because of his epilepsy but he will not get a CSP, he will simply have a pupil profile (similar to a RON) and his emergency protocol will still be kept up to date. C will also have a pupil profile.

Staff in my LA have only recently received training on the additional support for learning act (out of which was born the CSP), which is pretty shocking considering the first documents were published in 2003. I was fortunate in that I learned about it as part of my teacher training.

Staff at my school, however, have already begun compiling pupil profiles - which is very similar to the covering pages of an IEP.

Should also add that I agree with Moncs - a CSP does not carry much weight, wish R could keep his RON.

Edited by krystaltps

I am really worried about this meeting that I have to go to in May. We don't have any outside agencies helping our son,,,,,,,,,,,,,, what will that mean?

Forbsay

Hi,

Ds didn't get a CSP. It was the outside agency support that let him down. He was seen as having complex and multiple needs that would go on for over a year and the significant level of support was being put in by education but the outside agencies of SLT, Communication Therapist, OT and CAHMS didn't have significant input, even though he sees 2 SLT for different things. He is seen in blocks which knocks down the degree of support making it not significant.

Good luck with the meeting. From what I have seen with ds and in the school I teach in they follow a decision tree which is really easy to get down until the last box on outside agencies. The children I teach are mutiply disabled with visual impairment and complex behavioural issues and only a couple have warrented a CSP!

Carrie