Sign in to follow this  
NikkiSmith

DLA for a 2yr old with ASD?

Have read all the other DLA posts and cannot find one that mentions this, so sorry for another one!

Ds3 got his official diagnosis from the paediatrician today, so all the fun now begins!

But when I was talking to the Homestart woman this afternoon, she said that know he has an official diagnosis I should apply for DLA for him.............. is it possible to get it for one so young with autism?

I know he is autistic, but cannot see just how different he is from an NT child of 2yrs 4mths IYKWIM.

It it madness to even try? I'm still waiting to hear back about ds2's renewal, but hadn't even thought about it for ds3!

Anyone tried it?

Nikki.

Edited by NikkiSmith

>:D<<'> to you and your family.

I don't think it's madness to try. Although they do say that it has to be care over and above what a child of the same age would normally require; so on that basis they might say no. But if you think that your little one does require more care than the typical 2 year old then go for it.

Flora >:D<<'>

Yes, we got DLA when Logan was 2 and 2 months. We applied just before we got his diagnosis, got refused and asked them to relook at it when we'd finished a weeks full assessment - but in that time the relooked at it anyways and he was awared the higher rate of care just before his formal diagnosis.

He did have hypotonia as well which made a difference, and his night-times were horrendous.

Although you say you can't see how he's different from a normal 2 year old, I bet if you sat and thought about it there would be lots of differences. For us key ones were completely non-verbal with little understanding and no non verbal communication, not walking, not self feeding and not knowing when his mouth is full so liability to choke. Not being able to play etc etc

We were told that it could be difficult to get it for someone so young but apart from the initial no we had very little problems.

Lynne

Ask for a referral to your local welfare right support group, they will help you fill out the form!

Edited by V1971

>:D<<'> Hi Nikki

Yes I got DLA higher rate care for my ds when he was 2 and a half (just after diagnosis) He is now 5 and still gets higher rate care and higher rate mobility

Hope you're OK

Elun xxx

Hmmmmmmmmmm......... Oh goodie! another set to go through! :lol:

Thanks for the replies - I guess I'll give it a try and see what they say. Can't do any harm in trying can it?

He's non-verbal (but I think he understands) and goes to SALT group for an hour once a week, he doesn't sleep well (paed has given him Melatonin to try) he can walk, but falls flat on his face if he tries to run! Is a super fast undresser (especially when you've just got him dressed and you are trying to get out the door!) and more that I am realising as I type this...... maybe not so normal. Oh and he's a clean freak and lives on baked beans!

Thank you all! Now I just need to find the time and enthusiasm to do it.

Nikki.

those forms frighten me nikki,i havent got to do steves again till hes 16 so 3 more years to go,i think the forms are very difficult to fill in,good luck >:D<<'>