Sign in to follow this  
phoebe

sensory issues

I have never really thought of DS as having sensory issues, but I have recently heard a bit about deep pressure stimuli.....DS head bangs and clicks fingers and does a lot of habits that could be associated with deep pressure needs - does anybody know anything about this or can you recommend any reading material for me to try to find out more?

Thanks

Phoebe

olga bogdashina has written a fantastic book, sensory perceptions in autism/aspergers syndrome (something like that).........can,t recommend this book enough it was invaluable in helping me understand some of my sons problems with sensory issues.

I would agree with Suze. The book is called 'Sensory Perceptual Issues in Autism and Asperger Syndrome: Different Sensory Experiences, Different Perceptual Worlds', published by Jessica Kingsley Publishers, and seems to me (I have AS and a number of associated sensory issues) to explain what is going on well - although you still need to bear in mind that everyone (NT/ASD) is different and will have diferent experiences.

In my opinion, sensory issues are one of the (many) things professionals need more understanding about. When I was diagnosed earlier this year, there was no mention of sensory issues despite these being central to my difficulties, and I hadn't linked the difficulties I was having. It wasn't until I had an assessment of my needs for university that this was explained to me, I could read about it, and begin to understand myself better.

Hope this is some help.

Mumble.