Sign in to follow this  
Annea

Statementing assessments

I am so very frustrated!!!!

The LEA decided to assess our daughter for a statement, and yesterday we attending a meeting with the ed psych.

She has her 'boss' with her, who said she might chip in if there was anything she wanted to know, but she totally monopolized the interview. She doesn't know my daughter, and it seemed from her questions that she was just going over old ground, making suggestions that had already been tried and failed. If she had read the notes she would have known this and it felt like such a waste of time!

I also thought that it might be an impartial report, but she was so on the LEA side of not statementing it was untrue, every single point I had, she replied with " Just playing devils advocate here but......" she even said this when we talked about the way DD had been treated by some of the teachers, she made excuses for them, heavy workload, insufficient training etc....

I didn't expect them to take my side, they don't do they, but for her to be so anti 'real help' it really uposet me and made me cross.

She went on to say that she knew I might be frustrated that their report might bring up a lot of things we had already tried.... surely she understands that the reason one asks for a statement is that the school have tried (in this case for 2 yrs) with no improvement, therfore external help is required!

Have I missed the point totally on the assessment? We have also gone down the legal route and DD has been assessed by an independant ed psych and SALT, whose reports will be used to represent our case to the assessment panel, but I wonder whether any of it is worthwhile!

Anne

I am wondering if you should get some advice regarding this from ipsea. It does sound like the whole process was rail roaded by the head ed psychs leas position ie no need to statement.

I dont know if its worthwhile you writing minuting the meeting and your concerns.

I wonder if i would be worth you looking at your leas criteria for assessment and also the guidelines about the legalities relating to this.

It could just be they were testing your resolve? Sorry Ive not been much help really.

Please dont be put off if the suggestions have already been tried and tested this will be good evidence at the panel.

I really dont understand either but ed psycs are part of the LEA, they are funded by the LEA too, so the devils advacate is true, if you really feel that your child needs a statement then entitles her with support individualised to her needs then go all the way, IPSEA would be interested in your experiences of the assessments meeting, because it really does look like more and more the parents are really on thier own.

keep a log of the statements she used and why she feels that your daughter doesnt need a statement.

My son had to become three years behind his peers, and disengaged from all his educational needs before they decided in an assessment, thankfully he was given a statement, but I would of gone all the way because the emotional and psychological scars are profound when they are not supported with a true relation of the childs needs in a statement.

do not give up, the tactics they used have certainly ruffled your foundations, but do not do what they want you to the most, and that is give up believing that the boss knows the best....

refuse to back down and fight back and give your child what they deserve, an education that meets the needs of the child, its their right.

JsMum

Thanks,

I actually have an IPSEA case worker, but due to the fact my daughter had very few real tests done, he felt the need to use the legal system to have her fully and independently assessed. he put me in touch with a solicitor who is working for us on this and a dda claim.

He has now stepped back as he felt it inappropriate for us to have conflictiong advice from both him and the solicitor, although i beleive he is prepared to represnt us if and when we have to go to tribunal.

It's very frustrating....

We get so near only to be knocked back again.....

Anne