Sign in to follow this  
steviegirl

where is Mudchute?

Mudchute's in Docklands. It's on the DLR line, the stop before Island Gardens (the other side of the Thames from Greenwich). To get from Mudchute to Greenwich you just need to take the DLR 2 or 3 stops south (depending on where you want in Greenwich).

Mudchute's in Docklands. It's on the DLR line, the stop before Island Gardens (the other side of the Thames from Greenwich). To get from Mudchute to Greenwich you just need to take the DLR 2 or 3 stops south (depending on where you want in Greenwich).

Mumble you are cleverer than me. I never knew that and I only live in Kent. I was going to tell Kathryn to get on at London Bridge to Lewisham and then to Greenwich. Good job you are here!! :robbie::robbie::robbie::robbie::robbie:

:lol:

Prompted by curiosity, I turned to that fount of all wisdom, Wikipedia, to find out why Mudchute is called Mudchute. :)

There are a number of routes I could take, the DLR passing through the abovementioned station, via London Bridge, as you suggest Steviegirl, or maybe even by boat from Westminster if it's a really nice day. I'll decide closer to the time!

K x

I remember going on an unofficial school trip to Docklands in 1992. We just wanted to travel on the Docklands train and have a look at all the redevelopment such as the Canary Wharf skyscraper. The place was completely deserted because of the recession and most of the shops in a shopping centre weren't even occupied. Everybody has a fascination for how Mudchute station got its name. The line ended at Island Gardens and you could walk to Greenwich via a tunnel under the Thames.

I remember going on an unofficial school trip to Docklands in 1992. We just wanted to travel on the Docklands train and have a look at all the redevelopment such as the Canary Wharf skyscraper. The place was completely deserted because of the recession and most of the shops in a shopping centre weren't even occupied. Everybody has a fascination for how Mudchute station got its name. The line ended at Island Gardens and you could walk to Greenwich via a tunnel under the Thames.

That used to be my favourite trip out as a kid - every other year my mum would (foolishly :devil: ) brave taking my brother and I to London. This was one thing (possibly the only thing) we could agree on - "What do you want to do this year?" "Ride up and down on the DLR, go up and down in the lifts at Island Gardens and make echoy noises in the tunnel under the Thames" - never tired of that trip out!! :lol: I remember being fascinated by the names from a very young age - used to attach all sorts of fantastic images to them. The way that area redeveloped is amazing. I'm actually quite tempted to make a very strange detour out of my journey to get to the Greenwich meetup and then take the DLR all the way down from Bank. Trouble then comes in deciding whether to walk under the Thames or get the DLR under the Thames - that extension bit is fun particuarly if you get to sit at the front (yes I'm a big kid :lol: ).