caren

Advice needed please

On 29th of june we have K's annual review , got his report today off speech and language I'll just add some of the repot first , he is seen on a fortnightly basis to support specific area's of language development and a programme of language activities has been provided for his teaching assistant

ATTENTION AND LISTENING

K continues to need support to maintain his attention however he responds well to adults prompting him . He benefits from from working in an area where there are fewer distractions. His ability to focus on activities has been noticeably affected by his tiredness

SOCIAL COMMUNICATION SKILLS

adults working with K have been encouraging him to ask for help and he is making progress with this . He will initiate communication more with adults now . he can use his language to ask questions , greet people , and make comments .It is reported that he finds it difficult to initiate communication with other children but he is making progress with this and he is accepting if they approach/communicate with him

Now the thing is i'm pretty happy with everything i think but my DH thinks that the speech and language woman and his support are out of order making K ask for help , which we were told before he gets help he has to say """ excuse me MRS D can i have some help with this work """, If he does'nt ask her with a full sentence he does'nt get it , the speech lady told her to do this and DH wants to bring this up in meeting , my question is ? any idea's should this be done or not ?

TIA

In an annual meeting, you should be able to ask any relevant questions. After all, it might be a year before you get the chance to ask them again. It's great that you're happy with most of it.

How does K feel? Is he upset or distressed that without the full sentence, he doesn't get help, or is he just mildly irritated? One of the strategies we sometimes use with EAL pupils is to model how to reply and get them to repeat it, otherwise some children would still be choosing to answer in monosyllables three years later.

That said, if it's bothering your DH, then the question should be asked in a reasonable, 'I'm just wondering about your reasons for using such an approach' kind of way. Be persistant until you get a clear and rational answer. If he's the kind of DH that will grab a professional by the shirt and drag them over a table in order to shout in their face, leave him at home and ask his question for him.

As a teacher to whom this has happened, I can honestly tell you that an aggressive response doesn't help much.

I suppose its trying a type of behavioural approach but I would not be happy. If your child is not feeling on an occasion able to say this phrase because of anxiety then surely they could provide some other means to support him. They are his disability against him.

In an annual meeting, you should be able to ask any relevant questions. After all, it might be a year before you get the chance to ask them again. It's great that you're happy with most of it.

How does K feel? Is he upset or distressed that without the full sentence, he doesn't get help, or is he just mildly irritated? One of the strategies we sometimes use with EAL pupils is to model how to reply and get them to repeat it, otherwise some children would still be choosing to answer in monosyllables three years later.

That said, if it's bothering your DH, then the question should be asked in a reasonable, 'I'm just wondering about your reasons for using such an approach' kind of way. Be persistant until you get a clear and rational answer. If he's the kind of DH that will grab a professional by the shirt and drag them over a table in order to shout in their face, leave him at home and ask his question for him.

As a teacher to whom this has happened, I can honestly tell you that an aggressive response doesn't help much.

thank you for that , he's not grab your shirt kinda of guy just won't be pushed around one and can get passionate about the childrens welfare (which is fair enough) but will be using the 'I'm just wondering about your reasons for using such an approach' question , think that would come across better thanks for that

I suppose its trying a type of behavioural approach but I would not be happy. If your child is not feeling on an occasion able to say this phrase because of anxiety then surely they could provide some other means to support him. They are his disability against him.

thanks madme , i will also be asking this too