Sign in to follow this  
soraya

Visit from autistic society

My son has been refusing to go to school since easter, he goes to a very good EBD school but unfrotunately it is an hour away on the the school mini bus. He has always hated the bus journey even though he has his DS and numerous magazines, anyway he got a phobia about the mini bus saying he had funny feelings that he had to jump off, this resulted in him refusing to go to school, even by car!!

The LEA have funded the autistic society to come round and help get Nick back to school, I think they allocate a helper to him and they come round every morning to help him with his anxiety.I am pinning all my hopes on this as having him at home all the time is driving me mad as he gets very aggressive when asked to do schoolwork!!. Has anyone else used the autistic soceity in this way?

He, we had an autistic society come to our home to help my son with getting back into school, it was used over a year ago at the time the school believed my son to have difficlties with seperating from myself but as he seperated from myself but still refsued to go to school it was useless but at the time noone really wanted to know what was going on with him.

A few things the worker would do was make it into a game for him to get a bag of motivators to go into school with and then they would take him to school and settle him in once there but it only worked a few times for my son.

The autistic society have just become involved again in helping re-intergrate my son into a new school although this time emphasis is put on me to go into the transport with him.

A few of the stratergies they have helped us to achieve is direct work with his morning routine, taking medication, getting dressed etc and then getting into the car with him and it's all about motivators, lol

They may write out some social stories for your child which can help to do with the travelling and his journey to school.

The autisic society will chat with him and yourself to find out what is making him anxious and will work around that they will probably also do a risk assessment.

Good luck with it and I hope it goes well, having the autistic society for my son has been very beneficial >:D<<'>

My son has been refusing to go to school since easter, he goes to a very good EBD school but unfrotunately it is an hour away on the the school mini bus. He has always hated the bus journey even though he has his DS and numerous magazines, anyway he got a phobia about the mini bus saying he had funny feelings that he had to jump off, this resulted in him refusing to go to school, even by car!!

The LEA have funded the autistic society to come round and help get Nick back to school, I think they allocate a helper to him and they come round every morning to help him with his anxiety.I am pinning all my hopes on this as having him at home all the time is driving me mad as he gets very aggressive when asked to do schoolwork!!. Has anyone else used the autistic soceity in this way?

Well the guy from the autistic society has just left, it went really well although Nick would only speak to him for 5 mins!!. They are going to allocate Nick a support worker who will go with Nick to school and help with his anxieties. I only hope he dosent get to rely on her too much, the aim is for him to get to school on his own!!