Sign in to follow this  
cmuir

SCHOOL REPORT TELLS IT LIKE IT IS

Hi

Fizzing mad! Just received Rs school report. He's 5 and has AS and is in mainstream school receiving 1-2-1 full-time support.

After each review meeting, I always come out feeling really frustrated. Everyone seems to want to talk about how well they're handling R, instead of actually acknowledging the full extent of his difficulties. After all, if it's brushed under the carpet, support won't be granted at a later date. I always end up pointing this out and backing this up by giving examples of finding out third hand that he's tried to run out of the school. I've also had to point out that the teachers fllled out questionnaires by Rs consultant, results showed that his concentration and activity levels are definitely outwith normal range, but not quite as elevated to give an ADHD diagnosis as well. In addition, questionnaires also showed high level of oppositional behaviour. I pointed this out as well when teacher said his concentration, etc is good. I pointed out that she herself had in fact filled out the questionnaire and that the results contradicted what she was saying.

Anyhow, his school report acknowledges that R received full-time 1-2-1 support and that he's taught as an individual within the class because his difficulties make it impossible for him to follow the P1 curriculum. In addition, it states that R is still a very unpredictable little boy (lump in my throat/tear in my eye!). There are parts that are positive which is good, particularly the bit where it states he's a very popular little boy.

My gripe is that why the heck can't they pass this information on the the appropriate person as review meetings when it really matters - not just school report!? I am however relieved that at least I've eventually got some ammunition, but they must be really concerned with their league tables! That's something I suppose.

Needless to say that a carefully worded response is winging it's way to the headteacher.

Am I being cynical? Is this a common problem?

Caroline.

I think it is a VERY common problem.

With my eldest all the way through primary school they played his difficulties down and a-only ever wanted to talk about how wonderful they were being with him (TOTAL LIE)

In the end when er had fought and won statutory assessment suddenly they were saying they were aware he had made little progress in the last 4YEARS!!!

Hi cmuir,

I know how you feel. It really doesn't help when they don't tell it as it is. I support a girl 13 in mainstream secondary school and her primary school certainly did her no favours. Because her spelling was praised so much she thought that meant her English was very good. Her writing is barely readable, there are very few spaces between words and her understanding of what she has read is very limited. Mum tells me the primary school made her special reports which emphasised her strengths rather than her weaknesses. K was absolutely distraught when she received her year 7 report that told it as it was. She is refusing any help in English and keeps saying " I don't need your help I can do it myself I can spell".

Julieann :wallbash:

Hi cmuir,

I know how you feel. It really doesn't help when they don't tell it as it is. I support a girl 13 in mainstream secondary school and her primary school certainly did her no favours. Because her spelling was praised so much she thought that meant her English was very good. Her writing is barely readable, there are very few spaces between words and her understanding of what she has read is very limited. Mum tells me the primary school made her special reports which emphasised her strengths rather than her weaknesses. K was absolutely distraught when she received her year 7 report that told it as it was. She is refusing any help in English and keeps saying " I don't need your help I can do it myself I can spell".

Julieann :wallbash:

Hi

That's the problem that it's actually more harmful to do that where the child is concerned. Think a lot of it is to do with performance/league tables. Makes me furious! Surely job satisfaction ie knowing you've helped a child should be at the top of the list before these tables?

Caroline.

Hi reading your post highlights the issues with ADHD, if his levels in Oppositional are high then it could be the effect of untreated ADHD, did you get a conners rating scale? one is for the school and one is for the parent, its these that are the most important, when you have a high oppositional then there is questions to ask if the school are suggesting good concentration and on tasks most of the time.

Also he does have full time one to one which will help keep him focused take that away and I bet they would see his difficulties more, Js inattention was more prominant in year 4,5 and its increasingly getting worse as the work and exspectations rise.

I would look into a an assessment for ADHD as there is a high indecation with the signs in your post with high levels of Oppositional behaviours.

JsMum

Hi

Yes, both myself and Rs two teachers completed a Connors Scale. Apparently results mirrored each others. His consultant has said that eg his levels of concentration, activity levels, and very high oppositional behaviour is definitely outwith the normal range. However, not elevated enough to give an ADHD diagnosis.

He runs riots from dawn 'til dusk, CAMHS are refusing to give us melatonin and I'm cracking up! We do however have a joint meeting with Rs social worker (very supportive!), CAMHS person (useless!) and his consultant (whose great!). I won't let these issues go!

Caroline.

CAMHS are refusing to give us melatonin and I'm cracking up! We do however have a joint meeting with Rs social worker (very supportive!), CAMHS person (useless!) and his consultant (whose great!).

Ask the consultant for the melatonin then!!!! if CAMHs are :wallbash: then go round them!

Edited by UltraMum

Hi

I actually don't know how he scored - I'm make sure I ask.

Can't wait for next appointment because I won't be taking no for an answer. They're not the ones up until 11.40pm, 3.10am, etc - and then have to go to work!!!

Thanks for your posts.

Caroline.

Our son doent get on with the melatonin brand we can get from the Dr so we buy our own. We use Natrol which we buy off the net. It was recommended by his paediatrician before they were allowed to prescribe it. Hope I'm not breaking too many rules by posting this.

Our son doent get on with the melatonin brand we can get from the Dr so we buy our own. We use Natrol which we buy off the net. It was recommended by his paediatrician before they were allowed to prescribe it. Hope I'm not breaking too many rules by posting this.

Hi Pippin

Did melatonin just not work or were there side effects?

Caroline.