Sign in to follow this  
Elaine

Unit vs. Provision

Hi all.

I have an issue regarding education for our youngest son (4, ASD). Maybe one of you has been in a similar situation and can give me some advice.

My son is due to start school in September. He has a final Statement naming a school which had an ASD unit (at the time of application). Yesterday I took him for his first visit, but found several issues:

The first one is that the Unit is changing to a 'Provision', which means that the classrooms I'd seen on my previous visit, would be closed down over the Summer, to be replaced by 'a quiet area' somewhere in the school.He'd be registered with a mainstream class, go to assembly and go out of the class for work with the ASD teachers as needed. This seemed pretty pointless to me, as I could have sent him to the local school where my other two children go to (one also has ASD and is supported)

The second issue came up while spending some time with the ASD class. After an initial, short period of attention the staff left him to his own devices.He quickly got bored. There weren't many things to do there, but a large, visible stack of toys outside the classroom. Obviously my son wanted to play with them, but was just told that he couldn't. This left him as a screaming, crying wreck. As the staff made no attempt to calm him down or sort the actual problem out (he didn't understand why he couldn't play with the toys ? ASD!!!) I finally decided to take him home early (after just half an hour)

So, my first impression was very negative. Combining that with the change from Unit to Provision, I'm very uncertain that I want to go ahead with this and feel like keeping him in his nursery until he's 5. Even more so, as this school is all the way through town and hence requires that my son, will need to be transported by taxi, while I take the other kids to the local school.

Has any of you had experience of ASD 'Provisions' vs 'Unit'?

Does anyone think my first impressions of his handling, might have been influenced by my presence?

Sorry for the seemingly rather long post and thanks for reading.

Hi Elaine,

The only advice I could give really, is go with your instinct. If you don't like the 'feel' of the school you visited and weren't happy with the provision they offered, it could be that it's not going to be the right place for your son. Have you looked into what provision they would offer at the local school where your other children go? You might find that they offer just as much and it would have the advantage of him going with his siblings and avoiding a long journey, etc. It's a very difficult one, though, because you never really know until you start there what it's going to be like. We pinned all our hopes on an ASD Unit attached to a mainstream and we've been very unhappy with it for various different reasons and sometimes wish we'd given the local comp. a try, it would be nearer and might have been just as good.

Best of luck with the decision. >:D<<'>

~ Mel ~

Thanks for your replies Brooke and Mel. It certainly helps to hear other people's experiences.

Unfortunately to make matters worse, my local school is now oversubscribed (with several on the waiting list and going to appeal). This came as quite a blow to me as the Head had previously agreed to keep his place open, but clearly wasn't able to. He can stay at nursery until he's 5, which would be great for him. But after that is a grey area.

I kept my son at nursery until he was five and the extra year was a huge benefit. Now he's in a unit attached to mainstream. He's been there a year but is soon to lose his place because they think he'll be able to deal with mainstream, which means we'll soon have to change to a local school.

This extra year at nursery will give you some breathing space, won't it? I'd hang on until you find a place you're happy with, and make a fuss if you can't. Sometimes I wonder if the professionals are awake. :D When we were looking at units the educational psychologist sent us to one that didn't even take children with ASD!

If you're not happy with what you've seen, go with your gut instinct. Good luck! :)

Hi,

Thanks for all your relies.

Just wanted to say that I went with my gut feeling and have arranged to keep my son on in nursery for another year.

Initially I was concerned that the people involved would be irritated at me for changing things, after the statement had been finalized. However nothing could be further from the truth. Everyone involved (the CDC staff, the C.C. Assessment and Monitoring team, the Nursery) were shocked at the way the change from Unit to Provision was being handled by the Head and supported my decision fully.

Hi Elaine

Gald you've got it sorted, it can be a huge strain having a big decision to make hanging over your head.

Brooke