Sign in to follow this  
BuntyB

Allowances for exams in mainstream?

Hi,

I wonder if those with experience of kids with a diagnosis can let me know what sort of help they are getting at mainstream school? Here's the situation:

T's younger sister is diagnosed with AS. I suspect T is the same and from what I have read have recognised traits too long to mention, but you know the stuff.

Anyway, took T over a year ago to be assessed. From my comments, consultant psych said it was likely, but on the school's report changed their minds. Personally I think T does a good job of acting 'normal' to fit in but comes under a lot of stress doing so. I think I have a reputation as an over-fussy mum!

the girls now go to an independent school and are making good progress, but T has been at this school 3 years and thinks he'd rather stay put. However, I do get concerned when he gets detentions for not reading in front of the class, and other social nightmares which he frets himself silly over. I hear tomorrow he has to do a presentation as part of his GCSE English coursework. He's a very bright lad and there's no doubt he has the ability (Graded as a 7) but he says he'd rather fail than have to do it.

School say there's nothing they can do, but I wonder if he had got the diagnosis whether they would make any allowances? Is it worth kicking up a fuss?

From what I remember, the school is allowed to give a child 25% extra time for an exam and provide a quiet room away from the main exam hall. This is all at the school's discretion.

If the child needs to use a laptop or a scribe or someone to read the questions, etc, then the school has to apply to the exam board for this dispensation.

I think I've got that right!

Bid

From what I remember, the school is allowed to give a child 25% extra time for an exam and provide a quiet room away from the main exam hall. This is all at the school's discretion.

If the child needs to use a laptop or a scribe or someone to read the questions, etc, then the school has to apply to the exam board for this dispensation.

I think I've got that right!

Bid

That matches what has been happening at my school though I think they even had to apply for the extra time. The scribe/reader technically can only be provided for a special needs student if they have that type of support provided in lessons. For the SATs one of my students (the AS one actually) had the extra time but no other support. Stupidly (in my opinion) they put him in the main hall where he was never going to use the extra time as he doesn't like to stand out. From what I've seen at my present school the extra time and reader can help but I've yet to see a student who knows how to make use of a scribe. They don't really understand it needs a different type of thinking process so they often leave information out or go far too fast for someone to keep up with them. If you talk to the SENCO they should be able to let you know what support your son could access.

Edited by David Matthew Baker

many thanks for the reply about help in exams, but this is with written work. Is any allowance made so they don't have to stand up in front of an audience to speak if they have communication problems?