Sign in to follow this  
witsend

school trip

Hi - well a few weeks ago eldest son came home from (new) school and annouced he'd put his name down for a school trip - turns out the trip is ski-ing in France next February! I was really surpsrised D wanted to go because he has always had a fear of flying and refused to go anywhere near a plane (hence holidays in cornwall :P ). Anyway when I spent quite a while making sure he really did want to go, he told me some of his new freinds were going to look after him on the plane and he was desperate to go, went on and on about it for days :hypno: . The trip costs �800.00 I can't afford it but my Dad offered to pay and is actually enjoying doing something nice for D which he thinks he really appreciates! He has already paid �75.00 deposit.

So now last night D became very distressed and ended up telling me he doesn't want to go on the trip now!! :angry: He was crying his eyes out saying he is too scared to fly (is scared of plane crashing - which he always has been - and now after seeing the news recently isterrified of terrorists! ). No amount of reasssurance would convince him otherwise adn in teh end I just said OK don't go if you don't want to but we will have to work out a way to pay grandad back ( he was very nochalant about the money - like it's nothing! :wallbash: ). I was really cross last night because I'm dreading having to tell my Dad and the school, and I had asked him so many times if he was sure........... :wallbash:

Today I feel more like i should have seen it coming :( I suppose I was just so pleased he wanted to go and seemed to be gaining confidence.

Thing is today when I spoke to him about it he said he doesn't know what to do!! My nerves are on edge now if he says he does want to go and Dad pays rest of money I'm worried sick he may just change his mind a gain at last minute!

Don't know wether to just take over and say right your not going which feels mean but I just can't let my Dad spend all that money for nothing, or wether to try and persuade him to go and keep my fingers crossed!

He will be 13 by the time they go on the trip I think all the other kids are going and I think he would really enjoy it once he was there, BUT I really don't know if he will get on that plane! He has finished school for summer now, I didn't send the next instalment in today and haven't told dad (or school )anything yet. Just keep thinking now it would be easier if he doesn't go but don't know what to do if he starts saying he wants to go again!!

Help - what would you do??

Luv Witsend.

Hiya...understand how you feel...mines the same, although he loves planes...more of a new place phobia than anything else.

Is there a local airport you could take him to for a look-see?, I'm sure you might even be able to arrange some sort of behind scenes look around if you explain the problem, and hopefully get him to look about on a plane thats grounded.

If you're able to arrange something like that, explain again to him about the money and that it is a lot of money for Grandad so you need to make sure he'll be able to get on the plane etc. Say that trip to airport is to make sure he'd be fine, or kinda find out one way or the other. At least then you'd both know if u see what i mean :unsure:

Hope this helps

Take care

I know I would be the same. I heard recently that you can go to counselling / hypnosis type courses to rid the fear of flying. (Now thats a thought - could we just hypnotise all our kids to make them behave differently - problems sorted?!) I also know you can contact the airport to arrange a visit to prepare him.

Mum took me round the local airport although it wasnt the same one as I was flying from! Break it into steps this is where you go then there ect. We coninsidently had a pilot come to Scouts and he spoke to us all and then with me on my own and he told me some really good info including when the pilot takes of there have everything set for a crash landing as during take off its the most common place for accidents to occur! There is also a system which detects every little difference that could pose a problem so there can correct it ect before it takes effect also if you think about a glider it glides down to the ground the same with a plane if the engine fails it still will glide down to the ground! My fear was not of flying just the fear of knowing the exploures I would be in for!

Okay I screamed the whole time during take off and landing also whenever we got turbelence! But all along I knew things were okay!

Just wanted to say thanks for the replies - Ds has well and truly decided he does not want to go on the trip. I've calmed down about it all now, have said it's OK and at least he spoke up now and not at the airport :o . Also expalined we should pay Grandad his deposit back (although my Dad has said there's no need - bless him) and Ds was fine about that has worked out a payment plan from his pocket money (this makes me feel a bit mean but am just trying to teach him consequances really).

So crises over ('til next year?? :huh: )

Cheers - Luv Witsend.