pearl

Supernanny helps a family with an autistic child

Just spotted this in next weeks Radio Times.

Sun 15th July, 4:50pm, Channel 4

Jo Frost teams up with world-renowned expert Dr Lynn Koegel to help Deidre & Trae Facente integrate their autistic three-year-old son Tristin into their everyday family life. They use inclusion & communication techniques to help engage with the youngster until he is able to construct basic sentences & speak to his parents.

I adore Supernanny, that girl has bucketloads of common sense & compassion, & with an expert to advise as well (not that I've heard of her but what do I know) should be worth a watch.

I watched this a few weeks ago on another channel...... I also like supernanny, but often find that the people that she is working with seem to have little idea of how to act around their kids.

It is worth a watch, but don't expect anything earth shattering. The child who has autism makes good progress during the period of filming :thumbs: and you can really identify with the family's loss of hope at times and mum's isolation, :crying: but the remedies are pretty standard and the things that they were doing before supernanny arrived are mind boggling.

Just my opinion - see what you think :D

Phoebe

Edited by phoebe

Sound interesting - I've always watched supernanny and it made me feel so much better - my boys are angels compared to most of the children shown. However, J is usually very passive, unless something goes wrong on his playstation game!

But DS2 is turning into a monster lately - probably down to lack of speech and difficulty communication, but he is so aggressive if he doesn't get what he wants and is just sooo defiant at the moment. No standard supernanny techniques seem to work and diversion techniques don't seem to work - once the novelty has worn off - he goes straight back to initial temper! He is probably autistic, but the tantrums are just normal tantrums (just last forever) and are driving me mad - so if they show any new techniques it will be worth watching!!

Well have watched it now, tend to agree with Phoebe.

If you have a child who escapes, LOCK THE DOOR & REMOVE THE KEY!!!!! Its not rocket science. Our house was like Fort Knox when JP was between 3 & 6, as was school once they learned the hard way that if a crocodile of children went one way out of the classroom, JP would go the other, out the front door & not stop till he reached the coast!

The techniques were fairly standard, was good to get them to a wider audience but very sorry for the family if no one had explained all this before.

One thing disturbed me, sure it was a slip of the tongue on Dr Koegels part but she said, if you follow these techniques, he will "get better". I'm sure she meant "improve", but its vital to be absolutely clear, or it could come across as a "cure".

:crying: at the moment he spoke for the first time

:crying: and dad, seeing what he could do to help

Brought back a lot of memories.

we all sat and watched this even the kids, DD kept saying "spinning" with a grin on her face and DS couldnt understand why the mum was ignoring the

kids.

i felt so sorry for the mum, it was clear that she was not coping at all, i cant understand why noone had told her the things that Supernanny and Dr Koegel

did as some of them are basic-like lock the door.

i cried when the little boy spoke and when the dad broke down.

i thought it was a lovely ending.

Would be nice to have an update - the Supernanny formula "requires" a happy ending, would be good to see how all the families are doing a year or so down the line.

Really hope that family got back up support - very difficult to do on their own.