Sign in to follow this  
claire3005

need help please

Hi everyone

I posted a few days ago asking whether its possible to have asd as well as ADHD, GDD, as k's CAMHS doctor has said that due to his cognitive assesment it would be impossible for k to have aspergers as you need average or above average intelligence, which he clearly doesnt in fact what it said was that he falls within the extremely low range of intelligents.

I have been convinced for some time now that hs has some form of asd, but to be honest i am tired of fighting to get them to test him as they say when they have sorted out his other problems they will see if there is anything else, and deal with that then.

My concern is that if he does have asd which i have looked up alot about and other things, that he is just not getting the help he needs and its just not fair, he needs help he is so withdrawn hasnt played outside for over a year and when hes at home his time is spent in his bedroom on computer how van i get them to do it????????

Help Please

Hi everyone

I posted a few days ago asking whether its possible to have asd as well as ADHD, GDD, as k's CAMHS doctor has said that due to his cognitive assesment it would be impossible for k to have aspergers as you need average or above average intelligence, which he clearly doesnt in fact what it said was that he falls within the extremely low range of intelligents.

I have been convinced for some time now that hs has some form of asd, but to be honest i am tired of fighting to get them to test him as they say when they have sorted out his other problems they will see if there is anything else, and deal with that then.

My concern is that if he does have asd which i have looked up alot about and other things, that he is just not getting the help he needs and its just not fair, he needs help he is so withdrawn hasnt played outside for over a year and when hes at home his time is spent in his bedroom on computer how van i get them to do it????????

Help Please

What is GDD please ? I do not know the abbreviation.

Karen.

gLOBAL DEVELOPMENTAL DELAY (sorry about the caps lock, think dd pressed some keys :huh: )

A x

Can I ask.... why AS and not autism? Does he not meet the criteria in the 3 areas?

A x

People with AS DO meet the criteria in all three areas... the difference between AS and classic autism is USUALLY due to language development... but often with classic autism there may be severe or moderate learning difficulties..whereas with AS the cogntive ability is often average or above average but it's not a hard and fast rule.

Claire...ruling out AS due to the results of cognitive testing does not rule out autism. Have they said they are not going to assess him for autism? If so then you need to ask them why. If they haven't ruled out autism specific assessments then you need to express your concerns in this area and ask them WHEN they will do it.

I hope you get some answers soon.

Flora

GDD means Global Development Delay in Educationspeak.

If a child has difficulties in several areas of learning, and is significantly behind their peers, then sometimes they are assessed as having GDD. It's something of an umbrella term.

Trying to sort out strategies to help this, and ignoring any possibility of AS doesn't really make sense to me.

Any ASD that he may or may have is likely to impact on how he learns, as well as how he copes in all other areas of his life.

This isn't something I know much about, but I don't understand why they're not looking at an overview of the whole picture. We all know that our children have an infinite range of combinations within them, not just one size fits all.

I could, of course be completely and utterly wrong, others here will know much more! :notworthy:

People with AS DO meet the criteria in all three areas... the difference between AS and classic autism is USUALLY due to language development... but often with classic autism there may be severe or moderate learning difficulties..whereas with AS the cogntive ability is often average or above average but it's not a hard and fast rule.

Claire...ruling out AS due to the results of cognitive testing does not rule out autism. Have they said they are not going to assess him for autism? If so then you need to ask them why. If they haven't ruled out autism specific assessments then you need to express your concerns in this area and ask them WHEN they will do it.

I hope you get some answers soon.

Flora

Sorry Flora, I wasn't being clear, I meant why where they only considering AS and not Autism, I wondered if his language was very good for instance.

A x

Hi all

Thanx for your replys i really appreciate it.

His language is quite good he will make up his own words though he is very withdrawn and he has very limited understanding of language he will say he understands but doesnt really.

When he speaks to you which is not very often it takes him along time to get out what he wants to say as he gets very easily confused , if you dont know him you probably wouldnt know what he was talking about. He takes everything literally so you have to be careful what you say or he screams and shouts at you.

Along with lots of other things this is what makes me think he could have asd what do you think?????????????

Edited by claire3005