Sign in to follow this  
TheNeil

Need Some Cooling Advice

Ok experts I need some help please (surprise surprise)

Life in chateau Aspie has been merrily trundling along but we've decided to buy a new fridge freezer as the current one has a humming noise that drives Emily mad (that and it's not big enough given all the fruit and veg we keep buying)(I blame the GPs and their green beans, carrots and cabbage :devil:)

So then, anybody got any advice on what make/model to look for, what make/model to avoid and what's a really quiet one? :notworthy:

Guest Lya of the Nox

we bought ours form the place mums go to lots and they have huge freezers! and i think it fairly quiet.

Never had a noise issue like u talkin bout here have to say She does compain about my work tho lol

tis me who needs help cos the music is so loud!!

Do you know anyone with access either to the Which? magazine or their website?

They review all sorts of stuff, including whitegoods, and give them a series of percentage ratings for different categories; efficiency, storage, ease of cleaning etc.

The older it is the louder it gets. My larder fridge is in the kitchen.

My 12 year old fridge freezer is in the garage.

Until you buy a new one, try damping the vibrating hum by standing the item on a thick pad of newspaper or a rubber mat.

Hums, laptop noises and kettles drive B up the wall and onto the ceiling! :wallbash:

There's an interesting one at Kew gardens (and I seem to remember from my way way back past that they had a similar model at Amberly Chalk Pits Museum).

It consists of a North facing thick brick igloo shaped building dug well down into the ground and with soil and maybe grass growing on the top. In the winter you harvest the ice from your great lake and stack it up in the middle, and then it keeps everything cool throughout the summer. Genius. Environmentally friendly and totally silent (except for the squirrels making off with your supplies). And they wonder why AS wasn't a problem oh so many years ago :lol: :lol:

Get digging Neil, get digging (and no-one mention a North-East meetup to go help him!)

Alternatively you could just move to the Polar Ice Cap. Long commute though I suppose.

I've been really helpful haven't I? :unsure::whistle: I blame the HobNobs. :lol:

Hi

Ok, a bit of sensible advice, although I was very impressed with Mumble's contribution!!!

We bought a Samsung Fridge Freezer a couple of years ago from Comet which was great. We got completely flooded out last summer and lost all our furniture and white goods and that was the one item that I replaced with the exact same model. And two of my neighbours were so impressed with my decision that they copied me! I have to say that we have all been very pleased with it. If you want model no. etc let me know - that sounds really aspie doesn't it?!!!!

Stella

Guest Lya of the Nox

oooh all your other responses have made me laugh soo much

thank you

:notworthy: