Sign in to follow this  
Cariad

All the ASD places are full

Our case has been adjourned and we have until late October early november to look and put another placement on the tabel for the panel. What's going to happen if there are no places, which there aren't! Everything is full for September, i've tried all over my region, and I'm not going to send him to a residental school miles away.

We have already had the headmaster of the school which we wanted say it's extremely full and they can't take another pupil as it will effect the other children as there is no space, the tribunal panel really tried to get him in..

I can feel myself sinking into desperation, I even rang the papers and news and had appointments lined up to interview myself and my son.. I had to stop them as my advocate said the panel would disaprove and it would jeperdise my case as it wasn't over!

Why has the system failed my son and every other special needs child, I thought this was the year of Autism, it's a joke! :crying:

This is the problem when the Tribunal is in June/July - there are hundreds of parents in the same situation as you - going to Tribunal to get into these schools and only a few places available - it ends up first come, first served.

Tribunals can't force independent schools to take a child (and have only limited powers over LEA schools), and they can't force the the LEA to name a school if a place does not exist. I am sure this is why LEAs use all the delaying tactics that they do - they save money but appear to have done everything they should have.

If you let us know where you live, age of your child and his SEN, we can inundate you (by PM) with suggestions of schools to try - there may be some you have not heard of. You may have to extend the area of your search.

Also, most independent schools offer a place on a provisional basis and children may leave in October/November, so do make sure that the schools know you have the Tribunals backing, and you may get offered a place then.

Cariad, it's a pretty demoralising situation, and tough to have to go through the holidays in limbo. :( But I agree with Kazzen, don't give up hope. Something, somewhere may yet become available between now and next term, and if not then, maybe further on into the academic year, especially if as Kazzen says, a placement has been already agreed in principle.

>:D<<'>

K x