forbsay

i am now a shrimp expert

I bought a shrimp for the goldfish tank as the pet shop claimed that it would reduce the algae (spelling?) from the tank. Well the shirmp who is called Buster was scared of the fish and lived in a castle. The inside of the castle was lovely and clean but not the tank.

Anyway, one day I was looking for Buster in his castle and just saw some white shell............. told little girl about my discovery and had a funeral for Buster (put him down the toilet). Then i thought, wait a minute here - where is his body? Went to investigate further and discovered him alive and well in his castle. Then has to explain this to my little girl.

He was growing quite big and shedded quite a few shells. However, then he decided to eat the artifical plants that i had bought for the tank - yesterday I went and bought some fresh plants for him. I thought he was looking a bit dodgy. Today, i went to see what he was doing and he appeared dead!

Took him out of the fish tank and was prepared for another funeral of down the toilet. However, saw he was moving a wee bit and decided to put him in a bucket. I went out shopping and came home. He looks fine again. Not lying on his side and has got his colour back again.

A cat has nine lives - I wonder how many shrimps have?

Forbsay

Wow that's one cared for shrimp, he is lucky to have you guys as his family, just a shame he won't clean the tank for you, maybe his castle is getting too small for him ???

Clare x x x :lol:

Edited by Clare63

could be he's about to shed again, mine go quiet just before they shed their shell, do you kno what sort he is, some dont like cold water and that could make him go a little quiet, shouldnt be that though if he's lived in there for a while

That is a great shrimp story, Forbsay. I feel attached to your shrimp now! What does he look like? How big is he? My folks used to have fish tanks when we were growing up - tropical fish and, believe it or not, two tanks of piranha, but we never had shrimp. We had a fish that was bought to hoover up the bottom of the tank for us, keep it clean, but heavens me I cannot remember what kind it was and hard to describe...had whiskers and it's mouth was faced downwards.

As for the piranha, well...that was good fun when a date came round and I showed him the fish tank, telling him to waggle his finger in the water....before letting him know what kind of fish they were. Date moved his hand pretty sharpish then. :devil::lol:

ddh

I don't think he is shedding his shell again. I was on hols last week and i put one of these food blocks in. So i don't know if it was something to do with that. He has also been eating the artifical plants..............

The pet shop told me he was a cold water shrimp. He was tiny when i bought him in April and he is about 6 cms now. He is now swimming in a bucket of water and i have put some fresh plants in for him to eat and some fish food............

I am really attached to him. My wee boy wanted to call him Bus so that is why he is called Buster. M goes through to chat to him and shows the shrimp all his buses :wub: . M was saying that Buster had a sore tummy today.

I have never seen Buster like that before - he was totally off colour and on his side..............

ok sounds like it could be a nitrite problem to me, those holiday blocks can raise the nitrate level and in turn the nitrite which could make him listless and loose his colour

do you have a water test kit, if not your local aquatic shop will probably test it for you if you take a small sample of water down there.

in case thats the problem i would chabge about 50% of the water today and then about 20% daily for the next few days, that should bring the nitrite level down

Thank you Summertime - I will go and change 50% of the water just now. Will the fish be ok? Should I keep him in his bucket overnight? He seems alot better tonight

When should i put the shrimp back in the tank?

Yeh, it does sound like the food block as that is the only thing that has changed.

Thanks again Summertime :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

I thought you were kidding about the auction site...........but they are there :o:lol: We've got a great aquatic shop about 15 mins away, so will try there..........worried any I bid on may turn up dead in a jiffy :unsure:

Are you allowed to send livestock 'shrimp mail?'

How is lil Buster today??

Can't qyite work out WHY the health of your shrimp matters....but it so does!! :wub:

:( can you get your water checked today?

as for posting shrimp, you can post fish and shrimp if they are appropriately packaged which includes heat pads if the weather isnt too good and they have to be posted next day delivery. Ive had a few fish delivered by courier if they are rare and I cant get them from close to home

he was still in his bucket last night - i put some fresh water plants in with him last night and i wonder if it has anything to do with that?

He has gone a funny colour again and is swimming on his side...........

Have removed plants and put in other water

put him back in the other tank, even though there might be a nitrate problem there is also some very useful bacteria in there and that may be what he's now missing

if you can get the water tested at least that will either confirm if that is the problem or not

hope he's feeling better soon

:( can you get your water checked today?

as for posting shrimp, you can post fish and shrimp if they are appropriately packaged which includes heat pads if the weather isnt too good and they have to be posted next day delivery. Ive had a few fish delivered by courier if they are rare and I cant get them from close to home

Well, you learn summat new every day!!

Well, here is the shrimp update.

This morning, he was looking very ill. Just checked on him a wee while ago and he is swimming about quite happily. He is still in the pail - I am going to keep him there overnight. Am going to give him some fish food and see how he is tomorrow.

I think Buster has lost another 2 lives................

Well, I will see what I can do....................

He is still seems fine though when I can home, there was a dirty sock from the laudry basket in his pail.............He/she had better not even think about jumping out of that bucket!

Edited by forbsay

Well, I will see what I can do....................

He is still seems fine though when I can home, there was a dirty sock from the laudry basket in his pail.............He/she had better not even think about jumping out of that bucket!

Are you sure it wasnt a dirty sock from MY laundry basket, its spreading far & wide at the mo :lol:

I want to see a piccie of Buster too! He (she?) seems to have a great big fan base at the mo...long may s/he prosper!

ddh

PS. Pearl, I think your other sock is hanging from my lilac...should I ship it back to you or give it to Buster as another present? He can have a matching pair when he makes a dash for freedom....

I want to see a piccie of Buster too! He (she?) seems to have a great big fan base at the mo...long may s/he prosper!

ddh

PS. Pearl, I think your other sock is hanging from my lilac...should I ship it back to you or give it to Buster as another present? He can have a matching pair when he makes a dash for freedom....

Naah, give it Buster, will keep his ickle shrimpy toes warm.

*thinks about this*

do shrimps have toes?

Edited by pearl

I am so so sorry for you and Buster. That has made me so sad, can't imagine what you are feeling... >:D<<'>

ddh