Sign in to follow this  
clintess

advice please

HI, I had a meeting on 19th jne first with paed that agreed ds2 needed a statement then a meeting with head whom also is senco,she said they had all the evidence ready. so on that day i put in straight away for parental referal via letter which they received and replied three days later. well today i get a phonecall from lea,the assessment officer said she couldnt go any further as sch not replied to what she had written on the 22nd june and a further follow up letter plus they have tried calling her to no avail due to the holidays.i had spoken to said senco last wednesday to ask if lea have hoildays like sch to see when i would get an answer.her reply was nothing will be sorted til september. No wonder why. lea not impressed as they see what evidence that has been submitted that he does have issues but without the sch imput their hands r tied.Its taken me from reception till now end of year two to get this far.Any advice please.

It sounds to me as if the school are dragging their heels. What are the holidays in your area?

My daughters head told me she takes the first 3 weeks off and then is back in school, so i dont know what your head normally does?

Do you have a copy of the school brochure? I am asking because in ours there is the Heads home details and telephone number!

I think you are in a difficult position because you wan the school on side but it sounds to me like they dont really know what they are doing. If they did the lea would have the info requested months ago! I would when school starts be requesting copies of the assessment policy, sen policy complaints policy so you are fully prepared.

Have a look at your childs school reports etc and gather as much info as you can - if school is slack you will need to be able to produce them to prove your sons need for a statement. I would seriously think about requesting a meeting very early in sept when school is back to chase this - asking parternt partnership to come with you might help show them you mean business!

Start to keep a record of every converaation etc you have with school and tie them down to deadlines and chase them up!

After leaving several messages on the sch answer phones and trying first thing this morning.I get a phonecall from the sch,the head/senco is away til monday but the deputy head said sorry and would of course support it.i asked her to call lea as they called early evening yesterday which she did cause i phoned the officer myself after twenty mins.

she said the school said they didnt realise there was a time limit and they would get required info of as soon as possible.The officer said to me its to late as time up legaly but as soon as september comes resubmit as sch info would then be there.Meanwhile she would get a communction/interaction teacher to go into the school for ds2 as she feels he does need that help. She also said there were no availble sen schools to meet ds2 meets other than the nearest one been half hour or so away which she felt was to far with him being so young.

she was extremly helpful and know excatly what she was doing which surprised as i thought the lea would be my problem.

Edited by clintess

My YS who was 8 in March will be going to his new school in August -so he can be in an Autistic Base - it is about 18 miles away and taxi will take about 1/2 hr each way

Louise

Makes you wonder if the lea told the head there was no point in hurrying reports as there was no school available anyway.

Sorry I am very cynical where leas are concerned, my experience is they can send so many mixed messages its beyond belief- just keep your guard up!