Cariad

We have had an offer from the LEA

We had a letter through from the LEA asking us to view an independant school which has an autistic unit. I had already viewed this school some months ago, It was a fantastic school but the headmaster made it clear it was for Aspergers and high functioning Autism. My DS is more in the middle with other difficulties on top.

I attended there last friday and apparently they are taking in more ASD children who aren't all high functioning, there is a space there and I took the DS so he could see what he was like, the man in charge of the ASD unit wasn't even fazed! They have a teacher and 2 learning assistants in the class and four pupils present.

I'm going to except it (it'll cost the LEA �56,000, but I did ask for a place at a nearby autistic school when they had places and the LEA said no, so it serves them right in my eyes). All we need to do know is amend parts 2 and 3 for the OT and SALT help he needs. We were told OT and SALT don't go into this independant school etc so maybye he could have it out of school hours?

Is it right as long as it's stated in his statement for the additional help he'll get it, in school time or not? (can you tell I'm still nervous).

I'm so happy but trying not to think it's done and dusted, so many things have gone pear shaped everytime we get our hopes up!

Check with the school - I'll be very surprised if there isn't SALT or OT input. They may even be on the staff.

Louise

Great news on the offer :)

In our area there is no speech therapy provided by Education and it all comes under Health - as far as I understand therefore the speech therapists don't go into mainstream schools here (not sure about special schools). However it's still detailed on my son's statement in parts 2 and 3 and therefore should be provided, it will most likely mean us taking him of of school for appointments but this is what we have been doing on the rare sessions he's already had.

Therefore even if it's not provided in school, it can still be on.

Apologies if I've misunderstood, it's late!