rainbow queen

out of nappies at night-any advice ???

has anybody any tips advice regarding trying to keep my son-age-6 out of nappies at night?

it was such a huge struggle to get him out of them in the day..........it went on forever....ect

ive decided to try him again at night,but he is just wetting the bed.........im waking him up before i go to bed and taking him for a wee -at first he protested doing this....but now hes got better at it]

we been doing it for a week but i dont think he fully understands how to get up out of bed and go loo before it happens.

today im going make a star chart-and everytime he dont wet i was going give him a sweet/choc as a reward.

just wondered how others manged it?

this year in new school year he will be going on a trip overnight with school so i was hoping to have mastered by then....as he dose now get embrassed that he wears nappies...ect...........[this has only just happened recently...so i thought he would be more aware now -thats why im trying him again ]

thanks

rq

Hi

I put my 7 year son into boxer shorts during the night. This was mid July. We spoke about it to him alot so he would click what to do as stickers and charts do nothing for my son at all.

We also gave him an ultimate reward - something that he really really wanted.

We have had no accidents at all :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

If you would like to PM me, then please do.

I have also updated my previous thread for this. It is in the general discussion section

Forbsay

Edited by forbsay

My son is dry day and night now hes 13 so thank god for that you might think but it took ages for it to click hed to get out of bed and have a wee in the night.Hed also poo the bed and just lie in it apparently unaware.Id be tearing my haire out.

We used to do the no drinks before bedtime,takeing him out of bed and putting him on the loo it helped a bit but not much.

Then our gp said dont restrict his drink youre doing more harm than good as hes not getting enough fluid and also he needs to learn the sensation of haveing a full nbladder and makeing the connection that it means hes to go to the loo.If that makes sence.

I stocked up on loads of sheets,decided id have washing every day from the wet bed and just stuck it out,gradually the wet nights got less and after around 4/5 months he was down to wetting the bed once a week after doing it 3 or more times a night at first.Then it was only when he was unwell or realy tired and after a year he was dry.

I never shouted.......not eassy i no,i never mentioned the fact hed wet the bed i would just change the bed and carry on.

It clicked eventually.These things always do.We replaced the matress afterwards.

They all get there in the end.Be prepared to stick it out.Once we decdied no more nappies on a night ect no matter how many times he wet the bed they didnt go back on.

Good luck.

My boy was finally out of nappies at night when he was 11 although we still have the occasional wet night now (He is 14)

We made sure he had at least 5 drinks during the day and went to the loo at least three times in the half hour before he turned off his light and stood for 1 minute after finishing weeing to make sure his bladder was empty.

He was also on medication but it didn't work that well.

My youngest (ADHD) is now almost twelve and still not reliably dry. He is on ditropan but if he forgets to take it he is wet. Often he is wet anyway even when he remembers.

we can't use the same method with his as drink is a big issue - he won't! this of course may be part of his problem.

good luck Mummy x

thanks for the replys.

so far we have had only 2 nights that he hasnt wet.

hes also getting angry about it all,im telling him to take the sheet of the bed and put it in the laundry ...in the hope it regestirs what we have to do if he does wet the bed.

i cant see us getting very far at this rate

i did not know you can get medication?

also being back at school has caused lots of stress and extra meltdowns.........so i guess doing it now is added stress for him...ill keep on it for bit longer -see how it goes.