Stephanie

Changes in Six Year Olds

I have read on here a few comments from people with 6 year olds. Is this a time of great change in an ASD kids life?

I only ask because over the last 12 months I have noticed my son (now 6 and a half) seems to have developed a lot of the more text book autistic mannerisms ... speech volume, jabbers to himself a lot, over obsessive, over anxious, talks constantly about tamagotchis whether anyone is listening or not, sensory auditory problems, bossy, challenges other kids a lot.

He has also reverted back to jumping up and down when he is excited ... which he hasn't done for the last 2 years.

Is this a normal thing? There was me hoping, he was going to lose a lot of his autistic traits and not gain some!

Hi Stephanie, I think I know what you mean. When C was 6-7, everything seemed to be magnified. He had a horrendous year at school and home-life was fraught to say the least. I think it's a time when peers become aware that there is something "different", and often the child himself begins to develop a similar awareness - C frequently wailed about not being able to stop doing certain things (such as hitting people if they brushed past his desk at school) - which means he had begun to realise that this isn't appropriate behaviour, but couldn't understand the reasons behind his behaviour.

All of this leads to increased levels of stress and anxiety, which we all know can "amplify" autistic traits. Once we got C's dx and I explained to him some of the reasons behing his actions, and we had the "everybody's different" talk, he gradually started to relax. He's 8 1/2 now and is very at ease with himself, anxiety is very much reduced and he's a happier wee lad all round.

Hopefully it's just a matter of time. However I have been warned that the next rough ride will be puberty..... ahh, the joys!

Hi Stephanie

Niamh has had certain traits since birth and developed more between then and 5 (hand-flapping, head rolling etc ) but between the ages of 5 and 6 they became more often, lasted longer and she developed new ones - for example she would smell objects (at one point she had to smell every piece of a jigsaw before putting it in place). Now at almost 9 she still has all of her traits but the majority of them she only does when anxious or excited. She was mainstream educated until last September and that definitely made her anxious, but since starting Special school she is less anxious and more relaxed.

Admittedly, she probably hand-flaps, makes noises etc more than I realise as I am so used to them I don't notice most of the time as it's just Niamh being Niamh!

Emma

Not sure they ever lose it just that it changes with time ;)

I think part of the issue is that as they get older the gap between them and their peers becomes exponentially bigger so the differences become more apparent. Adam is progressing and doing really well but I notice more not less differences. When he was a preschooler there was so much variation in development between his peers and some of his toddler friends had odd traits too but they outgrow these and development seems to become much more streamlined whereas that is not the case with a child on the spectrum. I sometimes think you get over one hurdle and another challenge takes its place. Adam's speech has much improved but now he is speaking so much better we are only just realising the extent of his difficulties in using speech socially and his difficulties with conversational skills. This isn't something he's just developed but only apparent now once his verbal communication reached a certain level iyswim.

Maybe your son is becoming more self-aware and this is his way of coping? There is supposed to be a brain and hormonal spurt around this age. His behaviours sound related to anxiety and control issues which are naturally part of the spectrum and how he inately is but could they in part be a response to anything in his external environment at school and at home? Does he need more structure built into his day to reduce his anxiety or feel less of a need to control? I think sometimes there is no reason, it just is and it passes with time to be replaced by something else!

Lx

Hi Stephanie,

my son sounds the same! He's 6 and a half too and the difference between him and the kids in his class is really apparent. He also talks to himself or hums far more now than before. He flaps his hands more when he talks (excitedly) and his tone of voice is more monotone. And he's far more arguementative and confrontational with me and my dp.

You know, I was wondering the same thing as you!

Eva

Hi,

Our daughter definitely has had periods where everything has got worse - at around 3/4yrs, 7yrs and 11yrs (she's 14 at the moment).

I'm sure I've read posts and articles mentioning this somewhere.

Take care,

Jb