Sign in to follow this  
mum22boys

Sensory overload????

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone can shed any light on something that happened yesterday to M. He is 7 and diagnosed ASD.

Yesterday was DS2's birthday party. We held it in a big hall, had a couple of bouncy castles and lots of children. the hall has a very high ceiling and the noise levels were very high. M seemed fairly ok through the party, even went on the bouncy castles although we had the usual lots of problems with him thinking the other kids were hitting him etc. He seemed stressed when the kids sat down to eat as he likes to sit by himself when not at home so he sat alone but refused to eat. At the end of the party he was crying that his stomach hurt, he refused to walk and was sitting on a mat sobbing. The man came to take the bouncy castles away and as he turned the power off the castles the room went very quiet. At that moment M started screaming :crying: and holding his head and particularily his ears. He was hysterical screaming his head hurt, he said it was his whole head. I have never seem him like this. He secreamed continuously for about half an hour as we loaded the car up and had to lay down when we got home, very unlike him. He complained his head hurt all evening.

I have never experienced anything like it. Could it have been some sort of sensory overload. He says he never fell and hurt his head, in fact he has no understanding of why he was in so much pain.

Can anyone please help. Has anyones kids gone through anything like this before?

Thanks,

mum22boys >:D<<'>

Hi Mum22boys,

All I can really add is that my daughter does get headaches and sick when she's anxious. The consultant told us they are probably the result of her anxiety levels - and I'd have to say if ever my daughter went to a party she would have definitely got anxious at some point, noise, smells etc, not understanding something, something taking longer than anticipated to happen, eating in front of others or even just wanting time-out. It could even be one small thing that could cause it - like going to sit in one chair and someone else got there first and then trying to see where else she could sit amongst the hustle and bustle of children.

The level of sickness (including actual vomiting) or headache (very much like a migraine) will depend on the severity of her anxieties - and screaming, crying etc would be part of this.

Take care,

Jb

Edited by jb1964

Hi

Sounds like sensory overload. My son isn't consistent in the sense that some days some noises bother him, others he has not problem. Guess it depends on whether they're tired, stressed, etc. I recall taking my son for a walk on a really quiet morning when a van drove past - that was enough for his hands to fly up to his ears. Other sensory issues can be things like brushing hair, cleaning teeth and clothing (ie dislike of certain fabrics eg chords, fleece, etc). The party would have been an exciting time which would have stressed your son out (lots of noise, etc). Suddenly going from a noisy room to a quiet one would have likely been the cause of upset. An occupational therapist gave me some handouts and advice - might be worth you having a chat with your son's consultant or OT.

Best wishes.

Caroline.

reece gets headaches and stomach aches wen things get too much and needs to be on his own and its the only time he will take calpol so must be serious!! usualy wakes up mmuch better

love donnaxxxxxx

sensory overload is treatable - and makes such a difference

please make sure your children don't suffer