brooke

smearing

my youngest DS for the past few weeks has started to smear his poo everywhere and i dont really know what to do :unsure: I obviously wash him ect but he wont use the toilet and isnt bothered about getting it all over himself and toys/walls. He is only 2 and a half but wont keep a nappie on he just rips them off. And if im lucky to keep one on him as soon as he's pooed he will take it off immediatly wherever and stand in it ect if i cant get to him in time.

I think im just wondering if this is a phase, his older brother (asd) didnt do this and i realise they are all different but he will be starting playgroup very soon and i dont know if he will do it there too. Should i let his pead know this is happening or just get on with it i dont know? If anyone has experience of this id be gratful for any advice. Thanks >:D<<'>

Just wanted to bump this up

I know that ive read from other mums who have had or are haveing the same problems so no doubt someone will offer advice.

Alas and thank god i didnt have this with my aspie son.Wed the opposite he hated poo and toilets and refused to go ending in constipation,anal leakage god you dont want to know.Then he would wipe his bottom for years and years,or touch toilet paper but alas finally he goes to the loo,and although he still hates loo paper never found out why he will use a spong to wipe himself its massive progress.Hes 13 now.Guess what im saying is even deep set entrenched things pass eventually just takes time.Hope its over for you soon.

Hi Brooke,

Sorry you are having a tough time.

If you go onto the General Discussion forum and put "smearing" in the search engine you will find several old posts which may hopefully be of help.

love Loraine

Hi Brooke

My son used to do this and I totally feel for you.

What we did was put him into vests which have poppers in between their legs. You can get these in Marks and Spencers - I have just checked their website and they have them for ages 2-3. I would try this first.

We were very fortunate in that my son did not do this for very long but it is still very very hard .

You could also mention it to his Paed..........

You are not alone >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

PM me if you need me.

Take care

Forbsay

xxxx

Edited by forbsay

My son also did this as a toddler and nursery age. Once he stuck a crayon in his poo from his bum and smeared it all over his toy garage. He also did this on his bed. Another time he pooed on the carpet and stamped in it in his wellies! It was a horrible phase, but he is now at school and has grown out of that now. He was only fully toilet trained just before he started school. It gave me no end of worry but he is progressing al the time. Hopefully for you it will be a phase which you will just have to bear for a while. None of my tactics seemed to work but luckily it just passed. I find that one phase / obsession ends and another appears. You also get good days and not so good days. Remember when he starts nursery, it is not his fault or yours. He is an individual and doesn't HAVE to be at the same stage as the other children. When my son started nursery he used to go into the toilets and flood them as he was obsessed with the taps and water. He actually did this at school too. He also blocked the toilet up with loo paper. I just had to keep explaining things to him in a simple manner, but even this does not override the urge. When he has to touch something or fiddle with it he will! I just tell myself everyone has their own personality which comes through in many different and 'interesting' ways! Jo xxx

arghh poo it :unsure: has to be one of the worst toilet problems. i managed to get him peeing in the toilet at about 2/3 years and another year to get him to poo in the toilet,he kept doing it in his pants.i tried foing to sit on the toilet, :crying::wallbash: lots of all this from both of us,in the end he started to do in toilet,but won,t use school toilets :wallbash: we went away on holiday was happy using caravan toilet,but not public toilets,so we went to a farm and he was desperately wanting to go and refused to use farm toilet and was trying to push the stuff back up his bum :rolleyes: so we took him back to the caravan and cleaned him up and washed out his pants :crying: yes i feel like doing that at times. Hes better now we are home,still won,t use school toilets and doing number 2's in the toilet isn't top prioroty when hes interested in tv or computer,so i have lots of dirty pants to wash :wallbash: and i wash them out but low temp washes don,t seem to shift the stains :whistle::rolleyes: oh well i have tried bribey and corruption to be more sociable about toilets and pants,hopefully we will soon make more progress :ninja: one day :rolleyes:

Hiya

L has just stopped doing this (hopefully). I was very worried thinking it was a sign of asd / or that he's very emotionally upset but our Health Visitor referred us to the GP who prescribed lactulose to see if he was possibly constipated and amazingly it seems to have really helped the problem. I was very reluctant to give him it thinking it was more a behavioural problem than a medical one but it has helped.

It might be worth seeing the GP and making sure there's nothing medical going on?

You have every sympathy though as I had 6 months of cleaning up poo (I know other people have it for years and i don't know how they cope) and we moved house and there were my new carpets and wall paper (amazingly poo does come off some brands of white wall paper!) covered in poo!