Sign in to follow this  
Annea

Home improvment grants

Hi Everyone, wonder if you can help.....

My daughter (A/S) is struggling more than she ever has.. she is hypersensitve to noise etc and we have recently had to down size our home...

My daughter keeps in her emotions at school and needs some space at home... she is going ballistic with the noise..... we have 4 children, a VERY noisy 5yr old boy, a possible A/S 9yr old, a VERY hormonal and angry 11yr old, and the house is constanty noisy!!

My daughter has already been referred to the psychiatric team for anxiety management... but she NEEDS somewhere to go to curl up in the quiet!!

Now to my question, I have heard that their are government grants available for home modifications needed for dissability.. Is this correct?

Has anyone heard of such grant and if so has anyone heard of anyone of anyone using it to convert a loft or build a quiet / multi sensory room?

We are now in a council house and I doubt they will do it without some overnment grant, but I don't know where to start... I am so scared for my daughters sanity!!!

PLEASE can anyone help???

Anne :crying:

Anne there are such grants, i shall try and look up some info for you. i know in Glasgow (where i live) there is a department in the city council that deals with this sort of thing.There are all sorts of criteria and waiting lists but i do think this is possible. In the meantime do you have a garden? My daughter has a wooden playhouse that is now her chill out zone we have done it up like a wee art studio and she goes there when she needs out of the house.There was an article in last weeks (or the week before) sunday paper about diy soundproofing that didnt look too expensive. I will try and get some info on monday for you.I am sure that there was mention before on this site about ear defenders? would they be any use?

Good luck

Nicola

Anne there are such grants, i shall try and look up some info for you. i know in Glasgow (where i live) there is a department in the city council that deals with this sort of thing.There are all sorts of criteria and waiting lists but i do think this is possible. In the meantime do you have a garden? My daughter has a wooden playhouse that is now her chill out zone we have done it up like a wee art studio and she goes there when she needs out of the house.There was an article in last weeks (or the week before) sunday paper about diy soundproofing that didnt look too expensive. I will try and get some info on monday for you.I am sure that there was mention before on this site about ear defenders? would they be any use?

Good luck

Nicola

Thanks Nicola,

Di from here as mailed me some local info.... it only mentiosn things like widening door ways etc though....

We have tried ear defenders, but she can't cope with the pressure..... I have aso tried the earplugs but she can't bear the thought of putting them in her ears!

The shed summer house idea is good. but it would need to be sound proofed as otherwise it wouldn't work.. How do you heat yours? I know that she would spend hours in there so I think it would need to be heated?

Thanks for your help... I think I will approache the council... we are actually waiting for permanent housing so will speak to the housing officer....

Anne, i dont have any heating i have lined the walls with plywood and put in flooring and a wee rug and curtains and that has beeb enough with our wee shed its in a sheltered spot and is quite tiny so has been ok for us.

I think you would get an outside electrical point, i think an electrician would be able to advise on prices and options. one of the big diy sheds (the one one where you can do it) has a catalogue on outside sheds as living spaces and work areas so it may give options in that.

Good luckmNicola

Anne,

We are currently working on get a Disabled Facilities Grant for a loft conversion (to get two bedrooms and a bathroom up their for two autistic boys and then turn their current bedroom into a padded sensory room.) They can pay up to �25,000 for alterations with a DFG, but it takes time!

We've got the SS OT involved and she has dragged the surveyor out to see if it's possible - which it is, but it's been on hold as our social worker is off on long term sick leave and they have only just allocated us a new, freshly qualified one.... so I'm not holding my breath for progress!

Not too sure about any more info, I have asked on here before, as I haven't actually met anyone who has successfully got a DFG and had work done, so it's clearly not an easy challenge.

I'm guessing they would probably help with the outside shed idea as that would be far cheaper for them!

Good luck!

Nikki.

Anne,

We are currently working on get a Disabled Facilities Grant for a loft conversion (to get two bedrooms and a bathroom up their for two autistic boys and then turn their current bedroom into a padded sensory room.) They can pay up to �25,000 for alterations with a DFG, but it takes time!

We've got the SS OT involved and she has dragged the surveyor out to see if it's possible - which it is, but it's been on hold as our social worker is off on long term sick leave and they have only just allocated us a new, freshly qualified one.... so I'm not holding my breath for progress!

Not too sure about any more info, I have asked on here before, as I haven't actually met anyone who has successfully got a DFG and had work done, so it's clearly not an easy challenge.

I'm guessing they would probably help with the outside shed idea as that would be far cheaper for them!

Good luck!

Nikki.

Thanks Nikki,

Do you think it would be worthwhile me trying to get ourselves allocated with a social worker?

We have often been asked if we have one, but we have never been allocated one. It seems that as my daughter was diagnosed with A/S privately, she didn't get passed through the system as she should....

We are just about to be put in permanent accomodation with the council and from the web site, I understand that landlords can apply for this grant too? It might have more power if they apply on our behalf?

Can I also ask, have you had to fund any of it yourself, since losing our own home we have nothing to put in the pot, so this would be not possible.

Can I ask if you have already put the application in? or do you have to await the various social and OT reports before you can do that?

I would prefer an internal room if possible, purely because I think it would be possible to make it more secluded than an outside shed of some variety.. with the other children, I can't imagin how I would keep them away.

I have decided that I am going to record my daughter when she is very distressd with the noise. I know people just don't understand or believe just how bad these kids can feel sometimes...

Anyone else have any ideas about this grant???

Anne

Anne,

I think if you can get a social worker it would be a huge step in the right direction - I was told by my SW that AS doesn't qualify for the children with disabilities SS team here, but it has to be worth asking.

I was under the impression that the grant was only available via SS and their OT's, but I could be wrong!

We are still at the paperwork stage, but I was told if the DFG + an extra �5,000 from our local council didn't cover the cost, it was possible to apply to charities etc. but I suspect we would have to fund it ourselves coz of my partners earnings. The DFG is no longer means tested, so depending on how much your conversion will cost, it shouldn't, in theory, cost you a penny.

When the surveyor came with the OT he said the only way we could do the loft would mean losing a bedroom for a staircase, which was crazy, so I had a guy from a company who did loft conversions (and knew all about DFG's and not getting paid til the job is finished and signed off!!) who came and measured up and drew basic plans that said we needed to turn the original staircase around and not loose a bedroom! He didn't even charge us, just said that when the DFG was given the go-ahead it would also cover their fee.

Sorry, that turned into an essay! Good luck with finding anyone else who's had one - they are a rarity!

Nikki.

Anne,

Good luck!

Nikki.

Thats fantastic Nikki, my DS's bedroom is tiny, and we are waiting for his room to be done. They won't plaster it for us (they say the parents can do this) all they will do is out vinyl on the floor(he smears), and get him another bed as he has a bunk bed and he has fallen several times and has a huge scabbed nose at present. They will soundproof the back wall as well as he kicks the wall, also put another door on as you can't open it fully to get into the room as it's so small, and a light which doesn't hang down.

Mind you saying that they did our back garden, totally transformed it with 8 foot fences and new turf and took up all the trees and gave us a patio. Before it was too dangerous out there for him. We had our SW involved and our OT.

Thanks Nikki,

I am going to contact our local social services team tomorrow and ask about how we get a social worker....

Quite a few depts have seemed suprised we don't have one due to having two kids with problems and ill health myself..

I am also going to speak to the housing team ans see if their is anything they can do...

I am lucky in that the pead and psychiatric team is really very good and I already have support from the local welsh MP...

It seems in Wales that the maxmum amount for renovations is �30K instead of the 25 for England... but it says on the website that if the work is more expensive, you can apply to be funded an extra amount.

I will let you know how we get on.

Anne

Anne, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

I am just waiting to hear back from our new replacement SW as to whether they will take on my youngest as well now as he has an ASD too or if they will want to wait it out until his diagnosis is more specific! :wallbash:

Our OT in notorious for being a nightmare, but having got all other professionals to agree a SafeSpace is not the answer for ds2, she seems to be coming around to the loft idea......

Ask everyone and anyone, tell them what you are doing and why and anyone with half a brain cell should be able to see that it will help family life chug along smoother than it does now.

Keep us posted.

Nikki.

Anne, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

I am just waiting to hear back from our new replacement SW as to whether they will take on my youngest as well now as he has an ASD too or if they will want to wait it out until his diagnosis is more specific! :wallbash:

Our OT in notorious for being a nightmare, but having got all other professionals to agree a SafeSpace is not the answer for ds2, she seems to be coming around to the loft idea......

Ask everyone and anyone, tell them what you are doing and why and anyone with half a brain cell should be able to see that it will help family life chug along smoother than it does now.

Keep us posted.

Nikki.

Thank you Nikki,

I honestly believe people just don't understand what it is like living with this 24 hr pressure, not just the child, but the fact that it affect negatively everyone in the house.....

Anne

Sorry to barge in, but can anyone try and apply? Do you have to be in receipt of any benefits (other than Child Benefit and DLA)? We have recently moved and the long term plan is to extend both out and into the loft but we may only be able to fund one of those ourselves as I am probably going to have to give up work.... DS has a tiny bedroom and really needs a sensory room and I would love to be able to extend into the loft for him and turn his bedroom into a sensory room.....

Who should I talk to? I did have a SS assessment but our borough doesn't have any money for children with ASD under 7 apparently :rolleyes: I guess that would mean that this grant wouldn't happen either....

Sorry for taking over!

Shamu

;)

Sorry to barge in, but can anyone try and apply? Do you have to be in receipt of any benefits (other than Child Benefit and DLA)? We have recently moved and the long term plan is to extend both out and into the loft but we may only be able to fund one of those ourselves as I am probably going to have to give up work.... DS has a tiny bedroom and really needs a sensory room and I would love to be able to extend into the loft for him and turn his bedroom into a sensory room.....

Who should I talk to? I did have a SS assessment but our borough doesn't have any money for children with ASD under 7 apparently :rolleyes: I guess that would mean that this grant wouldn't happen either....

Sorry for taking over!

Shamu

;)

Have a look here, it is not a local initiative but a governemnt one... http://www.communities.gov.uk/publications...facilitiesgrant

I spoke to a friend this evening who knows someone who got a grant for a severly disabled child... she said it was a vey prolonged affair.. took about a year just to okay the grant then the grant was put on hold for 5 months then it took months to do the work.. it was about 2 yrs in total.....

If we had to wait that long i think we would be needing places in the local psych ward....

I also understand that the work has to be necessary to improve the health and well being of the individual and that all alternatives have to be looked at first...

Good luck with your rennovations!

I don't think the application mentions any age restrictions but I might be wrong....

Anne

Hi Anne :thumbs:

Good luck with this !

Was there any links on our local site after regarding grants ?

Will email you soon, take care.

Di :D

Have a look here, it is not a local initiative but a governemnt one... http://www.communities.gov.uk/publications...facilitiesgrant

I spoke to a friend this evening who knows someone who got a grant for a severly disabled child... she said it was a vey prolonged affair.. took about a year just to okay the grant then the grant was put on hold for 5 months then it took months to do the work.. it was about 2 yrs in total.....

If we had to wait that long i think we would be needing places in the local psych ward....

I also understand that the work has to be necessary to improve the health and well being of the individual and that all alternatives have to be looked at first...

Good luck with your rennovations!

I don't think the application mentions any age restrictions but I might be wrong....

Anne

Thanks Anne that's really helpful

Shamu

;)