Cariad

Teeth grinding

The DS had a smearing episode last night, he was showered and then totally freaked out over heraing a mosquito. So I said he could sleep in my bed. I got hardly any sleep last night due to :

1. He is a very poor sleeper even though he takes melatonin.

2. Grinding his teeth for hours on end.

Anyone else get this? How can I stop it too before his teeth become stumps!!

wat a nightmare reece dosnt sleep very well and grinds his teeth wonder how he has any left lol

hope u get a better nite sleep tonite

love donnaxxxxxxxxxx

wat a nightmare reece dosnt sleep very well and grinds his teeth wonder how he has any left lol

hope u get a better nite sleep tonite

love donnaxxxxxxxxxx

I will get a better nights sleep as he'll be in his own bed tonight with any luck :thumbs:

My sister tells me I used to grind my teeth terribly in my sleep as a child. My teeth are fine now though, and, as far as I know, I don't still do it. Only advice I can think of is earplugs! :)

~ Mel ~

Have you thought about taking him to the dentist to ask about a mouth guard? They stop the damage that grinding can do, and stop the noise.

Both my boys grind their teeth in their sleep, and C does it while awake when he's stressed. Not sure if they have particularly strong teeth or not, but they were at the dentist last week, and received a glowing report (haven't a clue how this happened, as they both have sensory issues re tooth brushing, and I have to do it for them with much wailing and screaming and accusations of trying to choke them and kill them!).

C uses a calcium replenishing toothpaste (as he avoids dairy like it's poison) - maybe it's this that helps keep his teeth so strong. Might be worth a try... there are several brands and you can buy them in good chemist stores.

I grind my teeth really bad :(

I also have very small teeth for an adult so it's not like I have a lot to grind :lol:

I have tried a nightguard for my teeth but unknowing to myself kept pushing it out of my mouth at night. After waking up to find it on my hair (arraagghh big no, no for me!) or freaking my then boyfriend out by him waking up with it right next to his face I decided to stop using it.

I think when I have the money to do it again I will as I keep waking Neil up at night and suffer terribly the next day with tension headaches.

I too have sensory issues with brushing my teeth. I hate the taste of toothpastes and refused to use one for years, only brushing with warm water instead. I've learnt the hard way to accept that I must use toothpaste and now use one particular brand and type only. I hate the noise I and others make when brushing teeth and can sometimes feel so overwhelmed by the noise/sensation that it's almost like I have to release whatever is in my mouth at the time. It's very bizarre, I'm not being sick and I'm not spitting it out either, it just comes out I can't control it. Very embarrassing when it goes all down my nightie or on the floor! And it freaks Neil out :wacko:

I also tense my jaw throughout the day whenever I'm slightly stressed or anxious, most of the flipping time in fact and it's not until I get jaw lock that I realise I'm doing it. I'm the same with clenching fists or sitting in a tense state. My body doesn't understand the word relaxed and I've had lots of trouble over the years whenever I've had to relax for anything (like at the doctors etc) as I think I'm doing it but I'm actually not. I had to have an ECG earlier in the year and the nurse was like 'and now I just need you to relax....relax Emily....no you need to not tense....RELAX!' :lol: In the end my mum had to hold my hands as it was the only way they could stop my hands going into fists.

Emily

xxx

H, my DS grinds his teeth but only usually when he is looking at photos or concentrating on something.....

Luckily since he was a baby he has always slept in his own bed, only coming in to ours literally once or twice if he was poorly, he's a good sleeper and is not on any medication, unless you count Omega 3 and multi vitamins, which I really think has helped him.

When they say Autistic 'Spectrum' Disorder they really do mean 'spectrum' dont they, its really is vast and varied...... :rolleyes:

Anyway, not much help just sharing experiences

x