jools

HELP please

the wording on the statement is......

'...the local authority will provide funding equivalent to 10 hours per week of Teaching assistant time which the school can use flexibly in conjunction with other devolved and school based resources to meet G's needs. it should be noted that these resources can be delivered in a variety of ways such as small group, individualised support etc, so that the actual time when support which will be available in his class may be greater than the level indicated above.'

last year he got 10 hours supported in class. break times not included in this because he doesn't need support then.

this year (year 6) he is given 9 hrs support in class and the other paid hour for the TA is her coffee break time (4 days, 15 mins break each day)

i've told school i'm not happy but they say only option is for G to stay in at break and work.....i said no way!

am going to meet new head teacher in 5 mins.

i will be ringing lea when i get back.

can anyone offer any advice?

please??

I don't know how staff breaks are normally worked out, but to me the statement says your son needs 10 hours support in class and that's what he should be getting. If the school wants to fund a coffee break, that's up to them but it shouldn't be taken off your son's support.

K x

Quite rightly, any coffee break shouldn't be deducted from your son valuable support time. What a shamble, schools always have innovative ways to misuse the support offered for those who really need.

Talk to the LEA and best of luck.

thankyou

i just needed to know someone else was on my wave length!

spoke to HT who basically said tough.....TA is paid by lea for 10 hours and that will include her break. said no money in budget to pay her out of school resources. said i wasn't happy and HT said she would ring LEA for advice. have given them till thursday to get back to me.

A TA employed for 10 hours works 10 hours - and probably isn't entitled to a break if only working 2 hours per day. I've worked at several schools as an LSA and never had a paid break for coffee (if ever you got a coffee break that was) nor for lunchtime.

Ten hours means ten hours :shame:

My understanding is that legally you have to work 6 hours before you are entitled to a half hour break - the head is talking rubbish. All schools have an sen budget if its not enough thats for the school to show the lea it isnt enough and negotiate with the lea for more funds.

Refer them to rv oxfordshire county council ex parte 1996 elr

Hi Jools,

I support a pupil in year 9 mainstream secondary school who is statemented 10 hours weekly.

If the support teacher is only supporting 10 hours a week she isn't entitled to a break and even if she is doing additional hours with another child her breaks aren't paid for with your childs support funding. I support two pupils a total of 18 hours a week and my breaks are unpaid as are the other LSA's in the school.

i have been back in to see HT today.

he will be getting his full 10 hours support.

i didn't ask what changed her mind but suspect the lea told her to.

its just so ridiculous that i had to ask in the first place!