Sign in to follow this  
allsetuk

swimming & year one

evening all ...ok i have a dilemma, son in year one.... seems to have adapted quite well to change of teacher so far but he is being quite devious with not telling me whats what with regards homework...so i told teacher to write in message book for me then i know....his last teacher who he has had for two years was amazing, i got detail about what was what and what to expect, the new teacher says hello and goodbye thats it!!

on fridays they go swimming, first week last week, he hates it and has told me he is never ever going to school on a friday again. 2 hours of tears and stress tonight for fear of tomorrow....should i ask school to let him not go or stick with it, he hates it and knowing my son...sticking at it wont achieve anything but cause more anxiety..im slightly concerned too as he say school its really boring , everything takes too long and (he means lessons not moving at a quick enough pace ) and they dont get to play much anymore .....they are only 5 but so much is expected of them, joined up writing !!and if they get there work done then they get to leave the table and do a jigsaw or something..but surely doesnt that put pressure on them in a sense of like "oh my goodness cant concentrate have to hurry...and if i dont hurry ive some how failed" my son is obsessed with being first in line, first to complete things...and they are expected to dress and undress themselves which really causes him a lot of stress ..as he says he is always last ...

Hi Allsetuk

Our daughter hated swimming lessons in school primary too - and got in such a state i wrote a note saying that as she was susceptible to both ear-infections and chest infections (which she was - she had them for months on end) and that she'd have to miss them. (she wasn't diagnosed til 12yrs). This worked with the teachers - but she did get some stick from the other children as she got older keeping on at her as to why she wasn't going all the time.

We too had the 'boring' bit about lessons - she needs to be stimulated all the time and cannot abide doing absolutely nothing while waiting for the teacher to move on - now she's older it is better as she'll draw/doodle while waiting.

Take care,

Jb

During primary school the children had swimming every Friday too, it all got too much for Connor and started pulling sickies every Friday, I spoke with the Head and she agreed that as he could already swim he did not have to take part but she wanted him to come along to the lesson and observe. He was so much happier, enjoyed the walk to the pool and happily watched the others swim. I was also one of the swimming helpers but that didn't make any difference to Connor think for him it was a sensory issue.

Hope you find a solution.

Clare x x x

You know your son better than his teacher does. If you think it will not be helpful for him to attend the lessons, you are probably right.

Swimming is a useful skill, and any exercise can only be a good thing. Maybe you can take him swimming yourself outside of school.

Just a thought, not meant to pressurise anyone, just inform.

The National Curriculum requirement is that a child should be able to swim 25m, or a standard length, by the end of KS2.

If you can get to that level without school lessons, then the tequirement has been met.

If it is a sensory issue, or an ASD-related concern, then I would expect the school to make reasonable accommodation to meet the need. And if they can't, I would withdraw my child.