pearl

Born to be Different

Anyone watch this tonight?

Its a Child of Our Time type programme follwing children with disabilities from birth onwards, they are now 6 years old.

What inspirational children & families. JP & I watched it together & he asked lots of questions, & said, did you know I was disabled from birth?

Not quite sure about what I think about him referring to himself in that way as we make a point of emphasising his strengths & rarely refer to AS as a disablity, but he must be thinking about things like this & wondering I suppose.

Hi Pearl,

I haven't wtched meant to tho, but somehow completely forgot (my sieve brain again).

I can understand how puzzled you are by JP comment, I suppose if the programme was positive and its title 'born to be different' triggered lots of similarities to him. We always thell our son that he is differently able and although that he can perceive and react to somethings differently from most (but not all) people at the same time such perception allow him to understand somethings in more depth and insight. However, the fact that he has a leisure disability card (for discounts in swimming pools and so on) and any time we go to places where they offer special needs discount, he gets really annoyed and we have to explain that it is much easier for lots of organisations to use an umbrella term as special needs or disability while they are offering him and us something good it may seem derogatory and we keep saying that it really doesn't mean that you are 'dis' able it is the easy way that they need to operate without thinking too much about each individual. He understands but he also realises that the society may 'call' him disabled while not necessary 'consider' him to be one; in most cases at least.

So perhaps JP have similar observations that triggered his comment; it is sad but in this society it is real tho.

I believe that the only thing that we will keep emphasising on the strength not the difference but it is a continuous battle.

I have recorded this to watch later. I'm hoping it's the one I watched a few years ago, following all different families, with children with wide ranging disabilities. I remember saying to my mum at the time how remarkable these parents and children were, and I could never cope with a child with special needs. A few months later youngest dd was dx with MD, then ASD, and then eldest dd was dx AS.....and we survived and found a new path..........and I am only ever so slightly deranged :wacko:

Can't wait to watch it :)

It is the same children Baggy. The little girl called Shelby with a congenital disability, who wasn't expected to live very long is still going strong and a real joy to watch.

Oh cheers Viper. Shelby's mum was incredible. She kept so strong, yet was a single parent initially. Also admired how resolute she was in not giving up on her daughter, when the medical profession clearly thought all hope was lost :tearful:

Edited by Bagpuss