BuntyB

Stressing over homework

Hi,

My daughter has just gone into year 7 and I've been really impressed with the way she has handled all the changes, but homework causes a major problem.

Firstly she isn't always sure what she's supposed to be doing. Tonight she has been told that she is to draw an object with cross hatching. She hit a stumbling block because she hadn't heard the term before. I have explained, printed off examples and produced a book with a demonstration, but this doesn't help. she just flies into a rage asking how she is supposed to do something she hasn't heard of.

Eventually she watched me draw an egg, but then said her teacher would expect more than that and put 5 eggs in a bowl. She tried to draw the basic shapes and got cross with that since it wasn't quite right. I tried to get her to practice the shading, as the 'eggs' might be something else round, eg oranges. I might have guessed this wouldn't do. She has now spent an hour sreaming and bawling that she is going to get a sanction because she hasn't completed it. She doesn't understand the concept of 'trying your best' being good enough. She thinks it has to be perfect.

It's so hard to help her as she is convinced she is 'rubbish at everything' and 'everyone else is perfect'. The school are very good with her but because she is in a very small mainstream private school on a tight budget, they have said they would only accept her if she could cope with the level of support they can give her. the last thing i want is for them to say they can't cope with her needs since she's generally been much, much happier at this school.

Has anyone had any success with helping in this type of situation?

Edited by Shona

Hi,

My daughter has just gone into year 7 and I've been really impressed with the way she has handled all the changes, but homework causes a major problem.

Firstly she isn't always sure what she's supposed to be doing. Tonight she has been told that she is to draw an object with cross hatching. She hit a stumbling block because she hadn't heard the term before. I have explained, printed off examples and produced a book with a demonstration, but this doesn't help. she just flies into a rage asking how she is supposed to do something she hasn't heard of.

Eventually she watched me draw an egg, but then said her teacher would expect more than that and put 5 eggs in a bowl. She tried to draw the basic shapes and got cross with that since it wasn't quite right. I tried to get her to practice the shading, as the 'eggs' might be something else round, eg oranges. I might have guessed this wouldn't do. She has now spent an hour sreaming and bawling that she is going to get a sanction because she hasn't completed it. She doesn't understand the concept of 'trying your best' being good enough. She thinks it has to be perfect.

It's so hard to help her as she is convinced she is 'rubbish at everything' and 'everyone else is perfect'. The school are very good with her but because she is in a very small mainstream private school on a tight budget, they have said they would only accept her if she could cope with the level of support they can give her. the last thing i want is for them to say they can't cope with her needs since she's generally been much, much happier at this school.

Has anyone had any success with helping in this type of situation?

Hi Shona

What you are describing is so familiar! >:D<<'>

We've (DH and me) been discussing how we handle the situation. You might want to look at the cant see this getting any better, we re all miserable thread - lots of good ideas there.

I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that we stress too much about correct completion of homework and we should let our DS just do what he thinks he needs to do and leave it at that. Also that we should try a cuddle rather than getting cross when he says he can't do it. Wise words! A definite aim when he gets back from sailing this week!

Best of luck

Hi Shona.

I really sympathise with you and your daughter.

I have these problems with my son, he is now in year 8 of a mainstream secondary school and under SEN.

When he first started year 7 homework from every lesson were thrown on him, and of course he finds it difficult to follow instructions, we have many times tried to deal with this, and homework can be a nightmare.

What we have done to resolve this is write a note in his school diary planner to explain to the staff that he has difficulties with following instructions especially when it comes to homework. Even though he will write down 'homework' next to the subject there is nothing else added, so we are not really sure what the homework can actually be.

I remember in year 7 when he first had French homework, which was meant to be done in his French booklet, but instead he had done this in his exercise book.

There have been some improvements now with my son, so perhaps its worth mentioning this to the school, send your daughter in with a note, perhaps the next time they will reassure her. Your daughter as you know is trying very hard indeed and has done really well especially with the drastic changes, this is an achievement alone.

Hope things improve, the very best of luck. :thumbs:

Di x