Sign in to follow this  
mrs fussy

statements

Hi could anyone answer this please apart from the obvious benefits of a statement to the child who has it, do the actual school benefit in any way(financialy) that is. i know this might sound crazy i dont think that my son is statement criteria but his old school were intent on getting him 1 to 1 support at school via a statement we think he just needs minor adjustments made and my son said he often found having someone with him distracting.I know all statemnets are differant but if a child had a statement with 25hrs support how much monetry wise would this be worth. approx Mrs F x

In short, it depends on your LEA. Mine doesn't give schools any money towards Statements for Aspergers or ADHD (high incidence).

If the last school were keen to get him a Statement, perhaps yours do give extra money.

I'm not aware of the school getting money for a AS child with a statement, the LEA pay towards the wage of the TA or DA for additional 1-2-1 support for the child with the statement.

You would need to ask someone who works as a TA how much they get an hour to answer your question.

An educational physiologist would be able to advise on your sons needs within the school setting and advise the school what they would need to adjust and the best way to do this.

When is your meeting with the school.

Hi could anyone answer this please apart from the obvious benefits of a statement to the child who has it, do the actual school benefit in any way(financialy) that is. i know this might sound crazy i dont think that my son is statement criteria but his old school were intent on getting him 1 to 1 support at school via a statement we think he just needs minor adjustments made and my son said he often found having someone with him distracting.I know all statemnets are differant but if a child had a statement with 25hrs support how much monetry wise would this be worth. approx Mrs F x

In our area the LEA provide the cost of the LSA and SALT (not without a long long battle for the latter) - the main benefit of the statement is that it is legally binding on the LEA to ensure that all the support written into the statement in part 3 is provided - anything else that is put in Place at Scool Action or School Action Plus can be withdrawn at any time and you would have no comeback for your child ...

I'm not aware of the school getting money for a AS child with a statement, the LEA pay towards the wage of the TA or DA for additional 1-2-1 support for the child with the statement.

You would need to ask someone who works as a TA how much they get an hour to answer your question.

An educational physiologist would be able to advise on your sons needs within the school setting and advise the school what they would need to adjust and the best way to do this.

When is your meeting with the school.

Yes ed psych has been involved but cant ever seem to get a straight answer form her as to what she advised they said my child needed a level 3 TA working with him the higher grade i think a level 3 is. I just had a feeling that they wouldnt be using this TA just for him if ylou know what i mean. In my area the local secondary schools run gifted/talented workshops for Yr 5 Yr 6 children they have told us that my son was actualy in the top 5 of the school for his maths ability in Yr3, they said really because of his ability he should be going on these but because there is an age stipulation he wasnt allowed to, and also we know because these are run within a secondary school he wouldnt really manage on his own,(we kind of feel the school should be paying for someone to go with him, or even i would if needs be ) we feel this is possibly why they wanted statement to pay for this but may be wrong. Mrs F x

Meeting on Thurs

Yes ed psych has been involved but cant ever seem to get a straight answer form her as to what she advised

Ask for the new schools advice on this. Maybe a good idea to have the ed psychologist come to see him in the new school and see if she finds his needs have changed, it would also help you understand what is going on. Maybe if you could arrange an appointment to speak with the educational physiologist it would help answer a lot of your questions and concerns.

they said my child needed a level 3 TA working with him the higher grade i think a level 3 is. I just had a feeling that they wouldn't be using this TA just for him if you know what i mean.

I don't know why they have asked pacifically for a level 3 TA . If he had a statement the TA would have to cater for all of his needs first and could only help other children when your son did not need assistance.

In my area the local secondary schools run gifted/talented workshops for Yr 5 Yr 6 children they have told us that my son was actually in the top 5 of the school for his maths ability in Yr3, they said really because of his ability he should be going on these but because there is an age stipulation he wasnt allowed to, and also we know because these are run within a secondary school he wouldnt really manage on his own,(we kind of feel the school should be paying for someone to go with him, or even i would if needs be ) we feel this is possibly why they wanted statement to pay for this but may be wrong.

I would be very surprised if they would be prepared to allocate a TA for this alone.

Hope you find answers soon.

Hi.The school would not benefit financialy from a Statemnted child in our area.However the money would be used to fund TA support or other input.In short it dependes on how the support is used-extra staff are always useful :unsure::unsure: Karen.