Sign in to follow this  
tina.dog

Deperateley need help in writing a letter

Can any one help ? My son is 10 years old has ASD and attends a school for children with severe learing difficulties.He is non-verbal.So has great difficulty in communicating his needs.To cut a long story short we are a muslim family and of part of the relgion we do not eat any pork or pork products.The school have all this information since he started in school at the age of 3.And has constanly been reminded by myself at regular intervals .But despite all this he was given and allowed to eat a sausage roll containing pork.On this occassion have decided to make a complaint and need help with writing a letter of complaint to the school governers board.Which is stage 4 of the complaints procedure at school. I don't know where to start and don't have any experience and would really like some help. :angry: Tina

Tina,

That's outrageous! You must be so upset, I know I would be. MENCAP would be able to help you write to the governors or you could try parent partnership. We're making a complaint about the SENCO in our school and both parent partnership and MENCAP are coming to the meeting with me.

It's very common in schools to have children with different dietry requirements. I think it's quite worrying. What if a child had a nut allergy and someone accidently gave them something with nuts in it?

Lisa

Hi Tina

Sorry if all the information that you gave to the school as been ignored. I'm sorry i cant give you much advice, all i can say is if you took action the case would be in yours (im no expert though). If you state on file at the school anything in particular like avoiding certain foods as it can cause reactions to the child the school should stick to it. You are in your rights to complain. I know when my son was in his other school there would be photos up on the wall of the children that have to avoid milk products etc so in no doubt your childs school should do the same even if it is not hurting the child.

You are the parent and they should listen and understand your religion.

Hope you can understand what im saying.

Take care

Amanda >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

This comes under discrimination - ask the school for a copy of their discrimination policy. An alternative should have been available and offered to your son.

I think a simple letter stating the facts should be fine. Address it to the Chair of Governors, and hand it in in a sealed envelope (and ask for a receipt).

Karen

Hi Tina,

So sorry this has happened to your son...it must have been very upsetting >:D<<'>

This is not good enough, but hopefully it was carelessness, and the school will be mortified when you tell them.

Good luck,

Bid :wacko:

Edited by bid

Sometimes I just cannot believe what goes on in schools :angry: This is an illegal act, it is religious discrimination, it is totally unacceptable. It doesn't matter if your son is noverbal, you have explained to the school and your wishes should be respected. It's not as if a sausage roll isn't obviously pork is it ?

To start you need the date time and place the incident happened. If you know the adults involved name them. State again why you do not eat pig products and your extreme displeasure. If you have any paperwork showing that you have stated this can you enclose a copy with your letter? Send copies to your class teacher, head and governer. Make sure it says ccs to so they know there are multiple copies around and it's less likely to get swept under the carpet. Hope it goes well for you , Kat

oops sorry :oops: meant to say that you should put a time limit for a reply.

"Thank you for your time and consideration in this matter. i look forward to receiving your reply by 17 February 2005. If I do not hear from you by then i shall be contacting the LEA for further discussion."

State also what you want - an assurance that this will not happen again and what they propose to do to ensure that it does not.

Kat

Thought this was the best place to post this

Toni has a nut allergy

On tuesday Toni came out off school face and eyes swollen, eyes bloodshot and rash coming out. I instintly new she was reacting to something so asked her teacher if she had had any nuts. Her reply was she didn't think so.

I went striaght to the office to get her meds for it, as they would work for any allergic reaction

Teachers from everywhere then appeared and then Toni said she had had a nut and told us who gave it her. After speaking to the other child and her mum it turned out that Toni had put one in her mouth but then spat it out (she didn't like the taste) thankfully this was in our favour as it meant the reaction was less severe

I wasn't annoyed that Toni managed to get a nut as i thought the school would send a letter out reminding parents not to send children in with nuts as there was children in school with nut allergies, especially as the other child in the school with a nut allergy is very servere and nearly died once from it.

Well there has been no letter :angry:

I'm also annoyed that her teacher didn't do anything about it on Tuesday. She was a stand in teacher but it was obvious that there was a problem - she could off gone and found out if toni had any allergies or phoned me to take her home. Also talking to Toni and the girl who gave her the nut they did go to the dinner lady who told her to go and have a drink :wallbash::wallbash:

I know Toni has a problems with language and her friend didn't know Toni can not have nuts but shouldn't the dinner ladies know she has ASD and a nut allergy :angry:

I think i too will be writing a letter of complaint and also talk to parent of the other child with a nut allergy

Bev xxx

Beverley,

This is appalling. I think you should take your complaint to the highest level and complain in the strongest terms.

In my brief experience as a dinner lady at my son's school, there were four children with nut allergies. Their details and photos were publicised throughout the school, along with clear instructions on what to do in an emergency. All new dinnerladies were made aware of these children. We had to make sure they never sat with children who might be eating products with nut traces. There was at least one training session for staff whilst I was there.

A letter was also sent home with every child informing them of the condition and asking that parents didn't put nut products in lunchboxes, including less obvious things like chocolate bars. I think this letter was compiled by the parents involved. It might be worth getting together with the other parent and writing your own letter . Then you know that it has been done and that the information is accurate.

It's important to be careful anyway but the teachers should be especially watchful of a child who has communication problems.

K

Beverley,

athat must have given you a real fright. I would've thought that a nut allergy would be taken very seriously. For many children it's literally a matter of life and death. :angry:

Does the school have an official policy about allergies? If so can you ask to see it? If it's not being followed then definitely make a formal complaint. If it's inadequate then could you tell them what they are doing wrong? You would think these things were a matter of common sense but in your school's case, obviously not! :wallbash:

Luckily Toni's reaction up to now has not been life threatening she vomits, becomes lethargic, face and eyes swell and she gets a rash. When we first found out she had a nut allergy the school sent a letter out asking for parents not to send nut products to school, but this was 2 yrs ago so alot of parents are not aware.

I would prefer it if they sent out a letter a couple of times a year just to remind parents especially now there is a child in reception whose reaction is very servere. I know his mum to talk to so when i spot her in the playground i will be letting her know what happened, especially the fact that staff didn't recognise the symptoms toni was showing and the fact toni was suffering until i got there.

The other child has badges sewn onto his cloths stating that he has a nut allergy, i will have to ask her where she got them so i can do the same for toni

Bev xxx