Sign in to follow this  
carrieq

Really Concerned About Youngest

Hopefully dd is going through a phase but she is really worrying me as what she is doing is a more extreme version of ds.

As soon as you take your eyes off her for even a few minutes she is taking something apart or destroying something. I have just been trying to clean paint off a carpet, a couple of days ago she poured water all over the bathroom.

She has always pulled things out of cupboards and is constantly on the go. She doesn't sit still, climbs on anything and everything. Nursery laugh it off as being just her, she has put herself into the toy washing machine, dangled on coatpegs, walked along raidiators and is the only 2 year old to attempt the firemans pole on their outside play equipment.

I have till now put it down to being the youngest and having a very active brother but now I am becoming worried. We were out at the weekend with other families who had girls the same age and she was so much more on the go, squirmy and impulsive.

In some ways she is very different to her brother as she has a huge vocabulary and an amazing imagination but the ways in which they are similar scare me. I don't think she has ASD but I am a bit worried about the ADHD side of things as she is displaying the behaviour in more than one setting.

Between the two of them I am worn to a frazzle!!

Any words of advice gratefully received!!

Carrie

Guest Lya of the Nox

can u ask nuresry to get the early years senco to have a look?

then they can look furthar if needed

>:D<<'>

Hopefully dd is going through a phase but she is really worrying me as what she is doing is a more extreme version of ds.

As soon as you take your eyes off her for even a few minutes she is taking something apart or destroying something. I have just been trying to clean paint off a carpet, a couple of days ago she poured water all over the bathroom.

She has always pulled things out of cupboards and is constantly on the go. She doesn't sit still, climbs on anything and everything. Nursery laugh it off as being just her, she has put herself into the toy washing machine, dangled on coatpegs, walked along raidiators and is the only 2 year old to attempt the firemans pole on their outside play equipment.

I have till now put it down to being the youngest and having a very active brother but now I am becoming worried. We were out at the weekend with other families who had girls the same age and she was so much more on the go, squirmy and impulsive.

In some ways she is very different to her brother as she has a huge vocabulary and an amazing imagination but the ways in which they are similar scare me. I don't think she has ASD but I am a bit worried about the ADHD side of things as she is displaying the behaviour in more than one setting.

Between the two of them I am worn to a frazzle!!

Any words of advice gratefully received!!

could you speak to your health visitor or gp..?

Carrie

hi carrieq

i would ask your gp for a refferal for her to be checked into

i have 6 year old asd and my nearly 5 year old displays alot adhd signs,in fact hes got overlooked really with all the miver with my 6 year old.........but i asked my gp to reffer him to cdc and then camhs to to see if he has adhd.....

he has a few similar autistic traits at times but like u say about your daughter he is very social and is not the same as my 6 year old but hes deffo hyper always on the go ,non stop talking,dont pay attention to things ect.....cant sit still ect..

in fact because of the way he is around my 6 year old-this is one of major reasons my 6 year old goes into meltdowns because he cant deal with the noise and the rushing around ect............

in fact i find it hard to deal with it.........so i deffo would suggest lookinh into it if you feel there is some concern.

rq xxx

in fact because of the way he is around my 6 year old-this is one of major reasons my 6 year old goes into meltdowns because he cant deal with the noise and the rushing around ect............

This is all too familiar for us, too! DS2 just can't handle all the noise and activity from DS3.

We have just seen the paediatrician for a review meeting about DS3; initially we saw the paed who had seen my other sons, so she knew our family, but she left. It was one day when I was in the GP's surgery for an appt for DS2, with the others as well, and it all went a bit pear-shaped - DS3 was kicking off so much that another patient in the waiting room complained, I let rip at her and ended up in hysterics - honestly, I couldn't stop crying for about 3 hours. The GP obviously noticed (!) and, as DS3 was jumping up and down on her examination table, swinging from the chandeliers (as it were), I said please can he have a proper referral for ADHD.

Despite the recent visit to the paed we are not much clearer as to whether he has ADHD or not; my feeling is that he has, as was the opinion of the original paed, who adopted a wait-and-see attitude. Now he has started in Reception, so really it depends very much on what he's like at school. We wait with bated breath!

The original paed had suggested IEPs for him at nursery, but nursery basically just ignored it all. I've just found out that they didn't even bother to fill in the form sent to them by the paed. With a bit of extra support at nursery he would probably have found the transition to Reception a lot easier.

It has been suggested to me that DS3 acts as he does because he has two older brothers both on the spectrum, so he has to jump through hoops to get them to interact and the result is a hyper, manic child! Personally, I disagree. His impulsiveness and destructivity is not brought on by their responses, I'm sure.

Sorry, I've waffled on a lot about our experiences... I think talking to your child's nursery is a good idea, too, and talk to your GP too. If you are really worried, ask for a referral to an expert - paediatrician etc. I think it's only sensible to seek some answers.

Take care,

Lizzie xx >:D<<'>

hi

busylizzie 100

It has been suggested to me that DS3 acts as he does because he has two older brothers both on the spectrum, so he has to jump through hoops to get them to interact and the result is a hyper, manic child! Personally, I disagree. His impulsiveness and destructivity is not brought on by their responses, I'm sure.

i had to reply to that

ive had exactly same said to me about son number 2-i dont agree with it too,i know it dont help having asd in the family but i dont belive it can be the cause of hyperactivity ect....

im in the same postion as you -son 2 has been seen by camhs and they have sent forms out to reception to see what hes like at school[which if its anything like my other son....ill be waiting forever-as my other son behaved so well at school ect]

so i am just waiting now for another appointment.....but ive been told theres such a long waiting list for adhd team ect....so will have to see how it goes......

take care rq xxx